Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Thor Equities Completes Long-Term Lease with L.A. Burdick Chocolates at 933 Broadway in Manhattan’s Flatiron District

February 18, 2026

Acrow’s Temporary Detour Bridge Installed on Manitoba Highway 3 Outside Winnipeg

February 18, 2026

Mutuum Finance (MUTM) Roadmap Update: V1 Protocol Testing Begins Following Successful Halborn Audit

February 18, 2026

Builders Bloc Launches to Put the Will of the People Back at the Center of Governance

February 18, 2026

Ontario Line opening date uncertain, construction to be finished in ‘early 2030s’

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview
Entertainment

Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview

By News RoomFebruary 18, 20263 Mins Read
Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview

Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down in an extraordinary public dispute with his bosses at CBS over what he can air on his late-night talk show.

On The Late Show Tuesday, Colbert said he was surprised by a statement from CBS denying that its lawyers told him he couldn’t show an interview with Democratic Texas Senate candidate James Talarico — which the host said had happened the night before.

He then took a copy of the network statement, wrapped it in a dog poop bag, and tossed it away.

Colbert had instead shown his Talarico interview on YouTube, but told viewers why he couldn’t show it on CBS. The network was concerned about FCC Chairman Brendan Carr trying to enforce a rule that required broadcasters to give “equal time” to opposing candidates when an interview was broadcast with one of them.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“We looked and we can’t find one example of this rule being enforced for any talk show interview, not only for my entire late-night career, but for anyone’s late-night career going back to the 1960s,” Colbert said.

Although Carr said in January he was thinking about getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, he hadn’t done it yet. “But CBS generously did it for him,” Colbert said.

Not only had CBS been aware Monday night that Colbert was going to talk about this issue publicly, its lawyers had even approved it in his script, he said. That’s why he was surprised by the statement, which said that Colbert had been provided “legal guidance” that broadcasting the interview could trigger the equal time rule.

“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”

He said he was “just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies.”

CBS is owned by Paramount Global.

Colbert is a short-timer now at CBS. The network announced last summer that Colbert’s show, where President Donald Trump is a frequent target of biting jokes, would end in May. The network said it was for economic reasons but others — including Colbert — have expressed skepticism that Trump’s repeated criticism of the show had nothing to do with it.

This week’s dispute with Colbert also recalls last fall, when ABC took late-night host Jimmy Kimmel off the air for a remark made about the killing of conservative activist founder Charlie Kirk, only to reinstate him following a backlash by viewers.

As of Wednesday morning, Colbert’s YouTube interview with Talarico had been viewed more than five million times, or roughly double what the comic’s CBS program draws each night. The Texas Democrat also reported that he had raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours after the interview.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

James Van Der Beek renewed wedding vows with wife in bed days before death

Natalie Spooner takes on Olympic Village food

Shia LaBeouf arrested after fight during Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Austria files terrorism charges in plot to attack Taylor Swift show

Robert Duvall, ‘The Godfather’ actor, dead at 95

Someone wants Kurt Cobain’s death investigated as a homicide. This has to stop

‘Rehab Addict’ cancelled after host Nicole Curtis caught using racial slur

Hilary Duff announces The Lucky Me World Tour, including 9 Canadian cities

James Van Der Beek GoFundMe for 6 kids, widow raises more than $1 million

Editors Picks

Acrow’s Temporary Detour Bridge Installed on Manitoba Highway 3 Outside Winnipeg

February 18, 2026

Mutuum Finance (MUTM) Roadmap Update: V1 Protocol Testing Begins Following Successful Halborn Audit

February 18, 2026

Builders Bloc Launches to Put the Will of the People Back at the Center of Governance

February 18, 2026

Ontario Line opening date uncertain, construction to be finished in ‘early 2030s’

February 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Canada news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Drive and Dive in La Paz, Baja California Sur.

February 18, 2026

James Van Der Beek renewed wedding vows with wife in bed days before death

February 18, 2026

Five things to watch on Thursday, Feb. 19

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version