Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Lumissil Introduces IS32FL3776 Matrix LED Driver for Intelligent Signal Displays

May 18, 2026

Licensing Expo 2026 Returns with More Than 400 Exhibitors and Powerhouse Lineup from Minecraft, Real Madrid, LEGO, NASCAR, PepsiCo

May 18, 2026

IUX Highlights H1 2026 Award Recognition Across Global Industry Platforms

May 18, 2026

Major Capital Construction Announces the Release of “The Truth From 0” Ebook by Founder Thad Major

May 18, 2026

PERIXX Unveils PERIBOARD-535 II — Low-Profile Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard for Comfortable All-Day Typing

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Woman who sued Bill Cosby for 1972 sexual assault awarded nearly $60M
Entertainment

Woman who sued Bill Cosby for 1972 sexual assault awarded nearly $60M

By News RoomMarch 24, 20264 Mins Read
Woman who sued Bill Cosby for 1972 sexual assault awarded nearly M
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A civil jury in California found Monday that Bill Cosby was liable for drugging and sexually assaulting a woman in 1972 and awarded her US$59.25 million.

After a nearly two-week trial in Santa Monica, jurors found Cosby, 88, liable for the sexual battery and assault of Donna Motsinger. They awarded her $17.5 million in past damages and $1.75 million for future damages, including “mental suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, inconvenience, grief, anxiety, humiliation, and emotional distress.”

Then in a second phase of the trial Monday afternoon, they awarded an additional $40 million in punitive damages.

Cosby’s lawyer, Jennifer Bonjean, said in an email after the initial award earlier Monday that they are disappointed and fully intend to appeal the verdict. She did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the punitive damages.

Deliberations lasted about two days.

The decision came nearly five years after Cosby was freed from prison in Pennsylvania when the state Supreme Court threw out a criminal conviction based on similar allegations. He has settled some similar lawsuits and has been ordered to pay in others, but Monday’s award is likely the most he has had to pay in a case.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“This verdict is not just about me – it’s about finally being heard and holding Mr. Cosby accountable.” Motsinger said in a statement. “I have carried the weight of what happened to me for more than 50 years. It never goes away. Today, a jury saw the truth and held him accountable. That means everything. I hope this gives strength to other survivors who are still waiting for their moment to be heard.”

Motsinger had been a server at a restaurant in Sausalito near San Francisco who said in her lawsuit, filed in 2023, that Cosby had invited her to his stand-up comedy show at a theatre in nearby San Carlos. Both were in their 30s at the time. She said Cosby gave her wine and two pills that she believed were aspirin, and that she was going in and out of consciousness as two men put her in a limousine.

“She woke up in her house with all her clothes off, except her underwear on – no top, no bra, and no pants,” the lawsuit said. “She knew she had been drugged and raped by Bill Cosby.”

In court filings, Cosby’s lawyers argued that the allegations rested almost entirely on speculation and assumption, saying Motsinger “freely admits that she has no idea what happened.”

Motsinger’s lawsuit moved with surprising quickness through the California courts, taking just 2 1/2 years from filing until verdict while other lawsuits against him stalled.


“We are grateful to the jury for their careful attention to the evidence and to Ms. Motsinger for the extraordinary courage it took to come forward,” said Jesse Creed, one of her lawyers from the Panish Shea Ravipudi law firm that represented her.

Cosby did not testify at the trial, whose witnesses included Andrea Constand, the Temple University sports administrator he was convicted of sexually assaulting in a Pennsylvania criminal court in 2018. The state’s Supreme Court threw out the verdict and Cosby was freed from prison after serving nearly three years of a three- to 10-year sentence.

Motsinger first made her allegations anonymously in a 2005 lawsuit filed by Constand.

The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly and consent to be named, as Constand and Motsinger have.

In 2022, a jury in Santa Monica awarded $500,000 to a woman who said Cosby sexually assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion when she was a teenager in 1975.

Motsinger’s lawsuit echoed allegations of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment made by at least 60 women against Cosby, all of which he has denied.

The former stand-up comedy and television superstar once widely known as “America’s Dad” became the first celebrity tried and convicted in the #MeToo era before his conviction was permanently thrown out when appeals court found he gave incriminating testimony in a deposition only after believing he had immunity from prosecution.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

What is this ‘blue dot fever’ and why is the music industry afflicted with it?

Aaron Carter’s family reaches settlement in wrongful death lawsuit

Drake releases ‘Iceman’ and 2 surprise albums ‘Habibti,’ ‘Maid of Honour’

Eurovision director says door is open for Canada to join song contest

Madonna, Shakira, BTS to headline World Cup final’s 1st halftime show

Shania Twain announces new album, ‘Little Miss Twain’

Matthew Perry death: Drug counsellor who delivered ketamine sentenced to 2 years

‘The Hills’ star Spencer Pratt vows to clean up L.A. in mayoral run

James Van Der Beek’s wife shares emotional tribute 3 months after his death

Editors Picks

Licensing Expo 2026 Returns with More Than 400 Exhibitors and Powerhouse Lineup from Minecraft, Real Madrid, LEGO, NASCAR, PepsiCo

May 18, 2026

IUX Highlights H1 2026 Award Recognition Across Global Industry Platforms

May 18, 2026

Major Capital Construction Announces the Release of “The Truth From 0” Ebook by Founder Thad Major

May 18, 2026

PERIXX Unveils PERIBOARD-535 II — Low-Profile Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard for Comfortable All-Day Typing

May 18, 2026

Latest News

Toobit Brings 36% APR on TON to Expanding High-Yield Earn Series

May 18, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe Presale Stage 16 Nears Sell-Out While Bitcoin Price Prediction Targets $200,000

May 17, 2026

Highlighting Cosmo Industries during Disability Service Professionals Week

May 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version