Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Department of Energy selects Felix Gold for up to $18 million in funding to advance Alaska antimony project

August 20, 2026

Kailas FUGA x Qiu Yang: Capturing the Raw Reality of Ultramarathons

August 20, 2026

Aventis Energy Highlights Uranium Fertile System at the Corvo Uranium Project

August 20, 2026

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

August 20, 2026

N.S. energy minister apologizes after ‘harmful’ rap lyrics prompt resignation call

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon
News

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

By News RoomAugust 20, 20262 Mins Read
Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Dayne Patterson

The Canadian Press

Posted August 20, 2026 4:40 pm

1 min read

Marathon runners who exhausted themselves in the Edmonton Marathon in the hope of qualifying for the marquee Boston Marathon may still have a shot.

The Edmonton Marathon says more than 10,000 people registered for its race Sunday, which was later found to be two-thirds of a kilometre longer than necessary.

Organizers initially dismissed complaints before remeasuring and concluding there was an error.

The race route was an extra 674.7 metres beyond the usual length (42.2 kilometres for marathon runners and 21.1 kilometres for those in the half marathon).

The issue was a detour to accommodate construction that wasn’t properly offset in the rest of the race.

That extra distance has introduced uncertainty for people who were hoping to use their marathon and half-marathon times to qualify for other prestigious races, such as the Boston Marathon.

A spokesperson for the non-profit Boston Athletic Association, which organizes the Boston Marathon, says in an email the marathon would not accept adjusted qualifying times.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

But the association also confirms that if an athlete ran farther than the required length, but still met a qualifying time for the marathon, they would still make the cut.

Edmonton Marathon director Tom Keogh says the event is communicating with its partners, including the Boston Athletics Association, to see how this year’s results can be recognized.

The Boston Marathon is scheduled for April 19 of next year with registration set to begin this September.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

Could ‘Lucky’ found in Netherlands be a Vancouver man missing since 1994?

Report says wait times in Quebec emergency rooms were 11 minutes shorter last year

Olivia Chow recaptures double-digit lead in Toronto mayoral race, new poll shows

OPP joining probe into alleged fraud at London, Ont. hospital

Alberta minister to host second AI data centre town hall for northern Sturgeon County

Quebec prosecutor stays charges against 11 Longueuil teens

Motorcycle rider pronounced dead after crash in Toronto

Editors Picks

Kailas FUGA x Qiu Yang: Capturing the Raw Reality of Ultramarathons

August 20, 2026

Aventis Energy Highlights Uranium Fertile System at the Corvo Uranium Project

August 20, 2026

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

August 20, 2026

N.S. energy minister apologizes after ‘harmful’ rap lyrics prompt resignation call

August 20, 2026

Latest News

Automotive Inside Rearview Mirrors (2026-2031) – Growing Adoption of Smart Mirrors and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Drives Market Growth

August 20, 2026

Welcome to the AI crisis in math

August 20, 2026

Keeping a promise: Ballad Health breaks ground on new Unicoi County Hospital

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version