Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Harrow Announces IHEEZO® Data in Patient-Reported Discomfort Following Intravitreal Injections

August 20, 2026

Westhaven Extends High-Grade Gold and Silver Mineralization Below the South Zone Deposit, Including 10.04m Grading 12.18 g/t Au & 103 g/t Ag, Shovelnose Gold Property, Southern British Columbia

August 20, 2026

Stetson University Named a 'Best College' in America by The Princeton Review

August 20, 2026

Frishantic Launches Berberine Supplement with Ceylon Cinnamon for Daily Wellness Routines

August 20, 2026

Jushi Holdings Inc. Announces Opening of Relocated Beyond Hello™ Dispensary in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » ‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer
News

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

By News RoomAugust 20, 20262 Mins Read
‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Neskantaga First Nation had to be evacuated again after a sewage flood at the community’s only nursing station, the northern Ontario community’s chief said on Thursday.

Gary Quisess said Neskantaga residents had to leave the community earlier this month for the second time this summer, just days after they returned home following a wildfire evacuation.

“It’s not a good feeling to be displaced and a hotel is not a long term facility for a community to stay in,” he said during a press conference at Queen’s Park.

“It’s heartbreaking. All of our plans, summer plans, are gone. Our community festival. Our family reunion, it’s gone. Youth retreat is gone. Everything.”

He said families from his community are staying in crowded hotel rooms in Toronto and they want to return to their homes as soon as possible.

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

Get weekly health news

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

Overcrowded housing is already a problem in Neskantaga, he said.

“Now where we are today, it’s not suitable.”

Quisess said the fly-in community about 425 kilometres north of Thunder Bay declared a state of emergency after a contractor damaged the septic system under a nursing station, which is the community’s only health-care facility.

“Everything’s impacted with this human error. That’s not right.”

Quisess said the federal government should work with the community to address the situation at the nursing station so people can return to their homes.

“There are so many shortcuts with these contractors and that has to change,” he said.


“Our lives matter. We have treaty rights. We have inherent rights. We need the government to step up.”

Neskantaga officials said the damage caused raw sewage to back up and fill the basement of the nursing station.

NDP MPP Sol Mamakwa, who represents the Kiiwetinoong riding in northern Ontario, said a total of 258 community members were evacuated from Neskantaga First Nation to Toronto.

“The people of Neskantaga First Nation have been once again been forced to leave their community because essential infrastructure has failed them,” he said.

The community was also evacuated in July as wildfires ravaged parts of northern Ontario.

Community members were also evacuated early last year for three months after the same nursing station was flooded with diesel.

They started returning to their homes in April 2025 after the nursing station was reopened.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

Could ‘Lucky’ found in Netherlands be a Vancouver man missing since 1994?

Report says wait times in Quebec emergency rooms were 11 minutes shorter last year

Olivia Chow recaptures double-digit lead in Toronto mayoral race, new poll shows

OPP joining probe into alleged fraud at London, Ont. hospital

Alberta minister to host second AI data centre town hall for northern Sturgeon County

Quebec prosecutor stays charges against 11 Longueuil teens

Motorcycle rider pronounced dead after crash in Toronto

Editors Picks

Westhaven Extends High-Grade Gold and Silver Mineralization Below the South Zone Deposit, Including 10.04m Grading 12.18 g/t Au & 103 g/t Ag, Shovelnose Gold Property, Southern British Columbia

August 20, 2026

Stetson University Named a 'Best College' in America by The Princeton Review

August 20, 2026

Frishantic Launches Berberine Supplement with Ceylon Cinnamon for Daily Wellness Routines

August 20, 2026

Jushi Holdings Inc. Announces Opening of Relocated Beyond Hello™ Dispensary in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania

August 20, 2026

Latest News

Department of Energy selects Felix Gold for up to $18 million in funding to advance Alaska antimony project

August 20, 2026

Kailas FUGA x Qiu Yang: Capturing the Raw Reality of Ultramarathons

August 20, 2026

Aventis Energy Highlights Uranium Fertile System at the Corvo Uranium Project

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version