An Ontario pilot has been found dead after his plane did not land as scheduled last week, Ontario Provincial Police confirmed Wednesday.

Police recovered his aircraft debris from Wolf Lake in Queen Elizabeth II Provincial Park earlier this week. On Wednesday, the OPP said searchers had located the aircraft submerged in the lake on Tuesday and confirmed the pilot was dead.

An extraction plan is being coordinated by investigators.

David Douglas, 73, went missing on Friday after Durham Regional Police said his plane had left Oshawa Executive Airport at about 8:30 a.m. He was expected back an hour later but did not arrive, prompting a search.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

The massive rescue operation began this weekend, with members of Durham police, OPP and Trenton Joint Rescue Coordination Centre participating.

“Although not the outcome we wanted, we hope the efforts of all #SAR units will aid in the continued search,” JRCC said Monday in a post on X.

Prior to the confirmation of Douglas’ death, Richard Wiltshire, a cousin of the pilot’s, told Global News that the 73-year-old was a longtime pilot and leisure flyer.


“This trip is, my understanding, this trip is quite normal for him to go on a flight,” Wiltshire said.

The circumstances surrounding the crash are now under investigation by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, with OPP continuing to assist as required.

The TSB said in a statement it was deploying a team of investigators near Minden Hills, Ont. to gather information and assess the incident.

“The OPP extends its sincere condolences to the pilot’s family and loved ones and thanks members of the public who provided information, support and assistance throughout the search effort,” OPP said.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share.
Exit mobile version