Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

A New Asia Next World-class Destination Takes Shape In North Movement

May 23, 2026

C-Lingo: Transforming Chinese Language Learning in Vietnam with AI

May 23, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe AI DEX Hits 5,000 Users While Bitcoin Price Prediction Eyes $180,000

May 23, 2026

Saskatoon sees the Prairie Lily sail again after 18 months

May 23, 2026

Police urgently searching for missing newborn baby in Halifax

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Liberals have proposed a debate on Iran war, federal House leader says
Politics

Liberals have proposed a debate on Iran war, federal House leader says

By News RoomMarch 9, 20263 Mins Read
Liberals have proposed a debate on Iran war, federal House leader says
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Liberal House leader Steven MacKinnon says Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government has proposed to debate the turmoil in the Middle East on Monday evening, following a weekend meeting of ministers that discussed the issue.

Steven MacKinnon, who is also transport minister, said in a Sunday post on X the government has proposed to opposition parties that a debate on the hostilities in Iran and the impact for Canadians abroad be held in the House of Commons.

Media representatives for the NDP and Conservative parties did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Sunday, and Carney’s office didn’t respond when asked if the prime minister would attend the debate.

The Prime Minister’s Office said in a readout late Sunday that Carney convened the Incident Response Group with ministers and senior officials earlier in the day to discuss the ongoing hostilities.

It said the meeting “focused on efforts to protect Canadians in the region and work with partners to de-escalate the conflict.”

“Canada was not consulted, did not participate, and has no plans to participate in the offensive actions against Iran that are being undertaken by the U.S. and Israel,” the PMO readout stated.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

“The initial conflict has spread widely as a result of attacks by Iran and its proxies on other countries across the broader Middle East.”

The PMO also said in a separate readout that Carney and U. S. President Donald Trump spoke Sunday afternoon on issues including developments in the Middle East, the economy and trade. No other details of the conversation were provided, other than that the leaders “agreed to remain in close contact.”

Some of Carney’s caucus members publicly said last week that they felt uneasy when the prime minister expressed support for the US-Israeli attack on Iran on February 28.

Last week, Interim NDP Leader Don Davies called the Liberal government’s position on the attack unprincipled, incoherent and contradictory in a social media post.

During a news conference in Australia days after the attack, Carney added the airstrikes likely violate international law and he expressed his support for the mission with “regret.”

The Middle East has been in turmoil since the attack and, on Sunday, Iranian state TV announced Mojtaba Khamenei, son of the country’s late supreme leader who was killed in the February attack, has been named his successor.

Iran has retaliated against the strikes and has been launching missiles and drones at U.S. and Israeli targets across the Gulf.

The PMO said the Incident Response Group agreed that partner countries in the region must have their security and sovereignty protected.

It also said the group discussed additional work to make sure Canadians who want to get out of the region can do so safely and quickly. It further said the group discussed “changes to the threat landscape” in Canada, and “underlined the importance of continued vigilance to enhance domestic security.”


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Read Danielle Smith’s full address on Alberta’s future in Canada

Alberta must be ‘at the centre’ of making Canada better, Carney says

Should we stay or go? Albertans to vote on separatism in referendum

U.S. official says Canada yet to prove itself as ‘credible’ defence partner

All Conservatives will campaign for Alberta to stay in Canada, Pierre Poilievre says

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith shuffles cabinet following 2 resignations

RCMP won’t release China policing pact despite Conservative, NDP pressure

Your metadata may be kept for a year under lawful access bill. What to know

Carney is starting talks on a lower carbon price in B.C. premier meeting

Editors Picks

C-Lingo: Transforming Chinese Language Learning in Vietnam with AI

May 23, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe AI DEX Hits 5,000 Users While Bitcoin Price Prediction Eyes $180,000

May 23, 2026

Saskatoon sees the Prairie Lily sail again after 18 months

May 23, 2026

Police urgently searching for missing newborn baby in Halifax

May 23, 2026

Latest News

Quebec Premier Fréchette won’t rule out exceeding $250M spending pot

May 23, 2026

Canada and allies condemn Israeli settlement expansion amid West Bank tensions

May 23, 2026

Sudden Changes in Mood and Weight? Let’s Decode It

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version