Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

U.S. alcohol may go back on Manitoba shelves, but Kinew urges customers to buy Canadian

August 20, 2026

DJI Osmo fans are breaking the shackles of its closed-source camera app

August 20, 2026

K-EnterTech Shines on the Global Stage! BIGC Wins Four Awards, Including the Stevie Awards and Good Design Awards

August 20, 2026

GoldInxs Receives Drill Permit and Claims Approval Expanding Fishpot Project Area Ahead of Inaugural Modern Drill Program

August 20, 2026

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead
News

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

By News RoomAugust 20, 20263 Mins Read
Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Three men facing extradition to the United States over their alleged involvement in transnational drug trafficking may seek to be tried in Canada, but the British Columbia Supreme Court says the prospect is “speculative at this point.”

Gurtej Smagh, Jaskarn Baghri, and Ravinder Dhanda were arrested last month in B.C. and are being pursued by American authorities for their alleged involvement in cross-border drug trafficking.

The CBC successfully applied to lift a publication ban on evidence presented at the men’s bail hearings, which their lawyers had argued could jeopardize a fair trial in the United States.

The ruling says the men also claimed media coverage about their case has created a “false impression” that they were connected to India’s Lawrence Bishnoi gang.

Justice Elizabeth McDonald rejected the idea that publication of information at their bail hearings would pose a risk to a fair trial in the United States, saying the jury screening process would be more effective than maintaining a broad publication ban in Canada.

The ruling added the men had claimed some or all of them could request a trial instead, and had argued “there is potential for prejudice to such a trial if the publication ban is not granted.”

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

“In my view, the prospect of the (accused) facing prosecution in Canada instead of the United States is speculative at this point,” McDonald wrote.


The bail hearing applications have yet to be heard in court, but the judge agreed to keep secret the information about the men’s sureties — those putting up money to have them released on bail — citing a “potential risk of serious harm to innocent parties.”

The U.S. Justice Department announced last month the arrests of 24 suspects around the world, including Smagh, Dhanda and Baghri, in what it called “Operation Hard Ball” in collaboration with the RCMP.

American authorities linked the arrests to India-based criminal groups whose alleged crimes include the high-profile assassination of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Surrey, B.C., in June 2023.

The killing was attributed to the Bishnoi gang, now a terrorist entity in Canada, but Smagh, Dhanda and Baghri were charged under a separate indictment for allegedly smuggling cocaine and methamphetamine into Canada from the U.S.

That indictment accuses Dhanda of operating a drug distribution network that concealed and transported the drugs on long-haul semi-trucks, as well as farm trucks from working farms, from the greater Los Angeles area to the U.S.-Canada border.

Eight other defendants were charged under the eight-count indictment.

—With additional files from Global News

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

U.S. alcohol may go back on Manitoba shelves, but Kinew urges customers to buy Canadian

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

Could ‘Lucky’ found in Netherlands be a Vancouver man missing since 1994?

Report says wait times in Quebec emergency rooms were 11 minutes shorter last year

Olivia Chow recaptures double-digit lead in Toronto mayoral race, new poll shows

OPP joining probe into alleged fraud at London, Ont. hospital

Alberta minister to host second AI data centre town hall for northern Sturgeon County

Editors Picks

DJI Osmo fans are breaking the shackles of its closed-source camera app

August 20, 2026

K-EnterTech Shines on the Global Stage! BIGC Wins Four Awards, Including the Stevie Awards and Good Design Awards

August 20, 2026

GoldInxs Receives Drill Permit and Claims Approval Expanding Fishpot Project Area Ahead of Inaugural Modern Drill Program

August 20, 2026

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

August 20, 2026

Latest News

Dundee Highlights High-Grade Drill Results Extending Known Mineralization and Reinforcing Growth Potential at Shovelnose South Zone

August 20, 2026

Google Discover is getting an AI chatbot-tuned feed

August 20, 2026

Harrow Announces IHEEZO® Data in Patient-Reported Discomfort Following Intravitreal Injections

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version