Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

AMSYS and SEYOND Announce Strategic Partnership to Advance Spatial Intelligence and Operational Digital Twins

August 19, 2026

Woman, 91, fatally struck by vehicle in Hamilton bike lane

August 19, 2026

MSI Expands the Bocage® Collection with Three New Q™ Colors Inspired by the Beauty of Natural Stone

August 19, 2026

Canadian tribunal says wheat gluten dumping is likely hurting industry

August 19, 2026

Celine Dion shares health update on stiff-person syndrome ahead of Paris shows

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Carney ‘constantly’ in touch with Trump, Joly says as CUSMA review nears
Politics

Carney ‘constantly’ in touch with Trump, Joly says as CUSMA review nears

By News RoomMay 28, 20263 Mins Read
Carney ‘constantly’ in touch with Trump, Joly says as CUSMA review nears
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. President Donald Trump are “constantly” in touch and will meet during the G7 summit in France next month as the review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico trade deal, or CUSMA, is drawing closer, Industry Minister Mélanie Joly said Thursday.

The trade deal, which was signed in 2018 and touches virtually all trade between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, is scheduled for a review by July 1 this year.

“Prime Minister Carney is in contact with President Trump constantly, and also they have met each other around the world and they will be meeting each other very soon, as the G7 will be hosted in France in June, so very shortly,” Joly said.

Carney was in New York on Thursday, meeting business leaders, CEOs and money managers with an aim to attract foreign investors to Canada.

In the coming weeks, as the CUSMA review draws closer, other Canadian ministers will also be deployed to the U.S. to meet with business leaders and stakeholders in the private sector, Joly said.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“We need to be able to talk to many allies across the U.S. Many of us ministers will be deployed across the U.S. as well to be talking to the private sector and different communities across the country,” Joly said.

Canada is more proactive now, rather being reactive, in managing the trade war with U.S., Joly said.


“In 2025, we were much more in reaction mode when it came to the trade war and the tariffs. In 2026, we have a plan and we’re putting it into place,” she said.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Tuesday there are significant trade issues with Canada but he has been in regular contact with his Canadian counterparts.

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc has been having “key conversations this week and even meetings” with Greer, Joly said, while she has been meeting with private sector representatives from both sides of the border in tariff-hit sectors like automobiles, forestry, steel and aluminum.

The CUSMA review sets up a three-way choice for each country to make in July. They can renew the deal for another 16 years, withdraw from it or signal both non-renewal and non-withdrawal — which would trigger an annual review that could keep negotiations going for up to a decade.

Greer has suggested that the Trump administration is unlikely to rubber-stamp a renewal and the three countries are preparing for lengthy trade talks.

Trump froze negotiations with Canada last year because he was angered by an Ontario-sponsored ad quoting former president Ronald Reagan criticizing tariffs.

— with files from The Canadian Press

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Canadian tribunal says wheat gluten dumping is likely hurting industry

Trump’s tariff pause doesn’t bring trade certainty, industry groups say

Trump pauses tariffs on Canada, cites pending trade deal

Trump’s new tariffs will be ‘a crack in the CUSMA shield,’ industry groups warn

Trump’s 50% tariffs are set to hit Canada in hours. There’s still no deal

PQ won’t hold Quebec sovereignty vote while Trump is president, leader says

Alberta government misses treaty anniversary event

LeBlanc to meet top Trump officials with new tariffs 2 days away

Less than 20% of Canadians want to give U.S. ‘concessions,’ poll finds

Editors Picks

Woman, 91, fatally struck by vehicle in Hamilton bike lane

August 19, 2026

MSI Expands the Bocage® Collection with Three New Q™ Colors Inspired by the Beauty of Natural Stone

August 19, 2026

Canadian tribunal says wheat gluten dumping is likely hurting industry

August 19, 2026

Celine Dion shares health update on stiff-person syndrome ahead of Paris shows

August 19, 2026

Latest News

Hayden Panettiere’s on-and-off boyfriend was there when she died: police

August 19, 2026

MEDevice Boston 2026 Unveils Forward-Looking Content Program, Shaping the Future of MedTech

August 19, 2026

As Hyperthermia Adoption Accelerates to Sensitize Tumors for Radiation and Chemotherapy, ResearchAndMarkets.com Details $0.41 Billion Global Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version