Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Jabra Enhance introduces a new lineup of FDA-cleared self-fitting hearing aids, 3 new models with improved hearing technology and in-app self-tuning

August 18, 2026

idntt, 20 Shining Members, Prove New Possibilities with First Win on THE SHOW

August 18, 2026

Bastion USA and BUNTIN Merge to Create a New Global Independent Powerhouse

August 18, 2026

Thomas P. Clement Center for Engineering Innovation Launches at Howard Community College as Student Earns Groundbreaking Patent

August 18, 2026

Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » PQ won’t hold Quebec sovereignty vote while Trump is president, leader says
Politics

PQ won’t hold Quebec sovereignty vote while Trump is president, leader says

By News RoomAugust 18, 20263 Mins Read
PQ won’t hold Quebec sovereignty vote while Trump is president, leader says
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says a Parti Québécois government will not hold a vote on Quebec sovereignty while U.S. President Donald Trump remains in office.

The PQ leader took to social media Tuesday morning to reiterate his party’s priorities.

“Yes, a Parti Québécois government will consult Quebecers on Quebec independence during its first term if it is elected,” he said. “A Parti Québécois government will not hold a referendum as long as Donald Trump is president of the United States.”

St-Pierre Plamondon said the issue would not come to a vote before Jan. 20, 2029, the end of Trump’s second term at the White House.

“Because an issue as crucial as that of Quebec’s political future requires conditions that allow for an informed and serene debate,” he said. “It must not be hijacked by the upheavals of American politics, nor by the outbursts of an unpredictable president, nor by fear campaigns.”

Defusing the possibility of a referendum in the near future would allow the PQ to run based on its priorities that will benefit the people of Quebec, St-Pierre Plamondon said.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“We will bring order back to our public services by reducing bureaucracy, tackle the cost-of-living crisis effectively, respond to the housing crisis, fight homelessness, put an end to the shameless waste of public funds, take care of the physical and mental health of our people, and give Quebecers back the taste for Quebec,” he said.

The PQ leader also took the opportunity to take a jab at the governing CAQ, expressing that the next government will have “plenty of challenges” from the start of its term.


“The challenges are numerous and colossal; there is a lot of work on the table,” he said.

“Our priority remains clear: govern Quebec with consistency and restore confidence to Quebec women and men.”

Latest polling shows the PQ is leading the way ahead of the provincial election, which must be held before Oct. 5.

Numbers released as part of a Leger/Le Journal/TVA poll show 30 per cent of voters would vote for the PQ if the election were held today.

The Quebec Liberal Party follows closely behind with 24 per cent.

St-Pierre Plamondon made an appeal to anglophone voters in a letter published in the National Post last week.

He asked English-speaking voters to keep an “open mind” about his party as the election approaches, adding that he would “even ensure that the rights currently enjoyed by the English-speaking community are entrenched in the constitution.”

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Alberta government misses treaty anniversary event

LeBlanc to meet top Trump officials with new tariffs 2 days away

Less than 20% of Canadians want to give U.S. ‘concessions,’ poll finds

Canada, U.S. officials to meet again as 50% tariffs to take effect in 3 days

Poilievre urges Carney to keep fuel excise tax suspended until Canada Day

Senator says tariffs a wake-up call for Canada

Afghan advocates flag five years of Taliban rule

Big gap remains between Canada and U.S. in ongoing trade talks: source

Reform U.K. leader Nigel Farage wins byelection against Count Binface

Editors Picks

idntt, 20 Shining Members, Prove New Possibilities with First Win on THE SHOW

August 18, 2026

Bastion USA and BUNTIN Merge to Create a New Global Independent Powerhouse

August 18, 2026

Thomas P. Clement Center for Engineering Innovation Launches at Howard Community College as Student Earns Groundbreaking Patent

August 18, 2026

Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents

August 18, 2026

Latest News

What’s next for Canada’s wildfire season? Ottawa to share update

August 18, 2026

PQ won’t hold Quebec sovereignty vote while Trump is president, leader says

August 18, 2026

Prince William County’s AI-Powered 311 Service Handles Nearly 40,000 Resident Conversations in First Year

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version