Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe Presale Stage 16 Nears Sell-Out While Bitcoin Price Prediction Targets $200,000

May 17, 2026

Highlighting Cosmo Industries during Disability Service Professionals Week

May 17, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe Presale Raises $1.25M While Solana Price Prediction Targets $450

May 17, 2026

Microsoft is retiring Teams’ Together Mode

May 17, 2026

Edmonton councillor pitches ‘Forever Canadian’ street amid separatist push

May 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Wetaskiwin mayor remains barred from city hall as public demands answers
News

Wetaskiwin mayor remains barred from city hall as public demands answers

By News RoomMarch 25, 20263 Mins Read
Wetaskiwin mayor remains barred from city hall as public demands answers
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

City councillors in Wetaskiwin are looking to hire a third-party contractor to help them work together more effectively and address public backlash, as rumours continue to swirl in the central Alberta community over why the mayor has been banned from city hall.

Mayor Joe Branco has been attending council meetings virtually since mid-January, after his fellow councillors voted to bar him from city hall — a decision council said stems from a private investigation they cannot publicly discuss.

The city has been asked many times for more information but has offered no explanation for the ban.

In a statement issued March 20, the city said Branco’s access to municipal facilities “has been restricted in response to confidential personnel matters that cannot be discussed under the Protection of Privacy Act.”

Branco is in his first term as mayor following the October 2025 election, but has previously served on council.

The lack of information has fuelled public frustration — and, according to the city, threats directed at staff.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

Earlier this month, council introduced a motion to hire a third‑party contractor to investigate the threats and to help council improve communication and internal collaboration.

However, the motion was pulled at the start of Tuesday’s meeting. Councillors later moved the discussion behind closed doors to consider increasing the agreed price for a third-party contractor and to determine who they might hire before bringing the motion back to the public agenda.

Coun. Karen Aberle told residents during the meeting that she hopes to provide more clarity once she knows what information can be released.

“I apologize to the public,” she said. “We’ll come out with a better answer to this once I know what I can and can’t say publicly.”


People in Wetaskiwin say the months-long ordeal is strange and they are getting fed up with the runaround.

“We should know what’s going on and why he was banned,” resident Maggie Toles said, noting in the absence of details, there are lots of rumours swirling in the community.

“He obviously did something that upset the city council. I’m not sure what, though.”

Another resident, Cal Knull, questioned whether council is withholding information: “My concern is, I’d like to know what he did to get banned.

“What are they hiding?”

If council proceeds with hiring a third‑party contractor, Aberle said the cost would be covered through a crisis fund included in the city’s budget.

Despite repeated requests from the public and media, neither council nor city administration has provided further details about the investigation or the reasons behind the mayor’s exclusion from city hall.

Branco has turned down interview requests and instead deferred to his lawyer.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Highlighting Cosmo Industries during Disability Service Professionals Week

Edmonton councillor pitches ‘Forever Canadian’ street amid separatist push

China condemns Conservative MP’s Taiwan trip after ambassador’s warning

Family of missing Ontario man to take part in spring search in Mont-Tremblant

Carney urged to take action amid Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ for developing countries

U.S. links Toronto consulate shooting to alleged Iranian-backed commander

Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette to meet Macron in Paris on economic mission

Canada’s transportation minister to announce export supports

TTC contract negotiations continue as strike deadline pushed back

Editors Picks

Highlighting Cosmo Industries during Disability Service Professionals Week

May 17, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe Presale Raises $1.25M While Solana Price Prediction Targets $450

May 17, 2026

Microsoft is retiring Teams’ Together Mode

May 17, 2026

Edmonton councillor pitches ‘Forever Canadian’ street amid separatist push

May 17, 2026

Latest News

China condemns Conservative MP’s Taiwan trip after ambassador’s warning

May 17, 2026

Revamped Siri will reportedly offer auto-deleting chats

May 17, 2026

Veterans For American Update: CLJA Veterans Pool Issues (Mo’ Money More Problems)

May 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version