Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit

August 22, 2026

Two great new repairable gadgets

August 22, 2026

One SUV for Different Sides of Family Life: KAIYI X7 Hybrid Makes Room for More

August 22, 2026

Amazon just hiked the prices for Echo, Fire TV, and Kindle products by up to 60 percent

August 22, 2026

Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit
Politics

WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit

By News RoomAugust 22, 20264 Mins Read
WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada is “walking away from a bad deal” with the United States and will match 50 per cent tariffs “dollar-for-dollar” in industries like steel and dairy.

Carney confirmed he was “reluctantly” adding tariffs that would add costs in some areas for Canadians, but insisted they were necessary to retaliate against United States President Donald Trump’s levies.

“We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they asked,” Carney declared in Ottawa on Saturday morning.

The prime minister said talks had taken place with the United States over the past year, and accelerated in recent days. He suggested his team had been skeptical, but optimistic a deal could be reached.

Carney said Canada’s trade negotiations had taken place knowing the United States’ “signature was written in pencil,” with negotiators still hoping to “strike a fair deal” with its southern neighbour.

“We can’t control the storm that blows in from Washington,” the prime minister said. “We can, however, chart a new course by building Canada strong at home and diversifying our trading relationships abroad.”

He added the United States “asked too much and offered too little” as negotiations dragged on this week.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said in a post on social media he was “disappointed” the United States had chosen to levy more tariffs.

“Canadians must stand united to defend our country against these unfair attacks on our jobs and businesses,” he wrote.

“Canada cannot accept one-sided tariffs that will deindustrialize our country. Nor can we accept a bad deal. Instead, we must continue the fight for tariff-free trade. Later today, I will seek a call with the Prime Minister to discuss what we can do to fight for our workers, businesses, and economy.”

The tariffs had initially been set to take effect on Wednesday, before United States President Donald Trump delayed them by three days to allow intensifying trade talks to continue.

While the president claimed “we have a deal” with Canada, officials on the Canadian side were more cautious, pointing to disagreements on the finer details of legal language.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

Then, in a statement late on Friday, Carney said Canada was suspending trade negotiations and recalling its negotiating team to Ottawa, arguing that last-minute changes to the U.S. position were unfair, uneconomic and raised questions about the reliability of any agreement.

Carney said on Friday night that recent progress had not been enough to meet Canada’s objectives, which included preserving broad access to the U.S. market, reducing tariffs on key sectors and protecting Canadian businesses.


U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, however, blamed Canada for the collapse of the talks, saying Ottawa declined to finalize a deal under terms agreed to earlier in the week.

As the trade talks collapsed, Canada’s premiers voiced broad support for Carney’s approach.

British Columbia’s David Eby said he was in favour of a tough approach and that Canadian “politeness should never be mistaken for weakness.”

On Saturday morning, Ontario Premier Doug Ford — who maintained his silence until after talks concluded — released a letter he sent to the prime minister earlier this week, advocating for “a coordinated dollar-for-dollar, tariff-for-tariff response and the continuation of existing countermeasures.”

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, who has been the most vocal opponent of retaliatory tariffs, said she didn’t want to see the countermeasures.

“My first concern today is for the Albertans and Canadians whose livelihoods are at risk from these new tariffs and counter-tariffs,” she wrote in a social media post on Friday night.

“I welcome the federal government’s intention to provide relief for those businesses that are impacted.”

Before the deal collapsed, Carney had asked premiers to restock American alcohol in provincial liquor stores, a move that would have taken away a countermeasure that has angered Trump.

Carney will meet with Canada’s premiers at 1:30 p.m.

— with files from Global News’ Sean Boynton, Alessia Simona Maratta & Jace Maki 

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Canada, U.S. race to reach a trade deal before midnight tariff deadline

N.S. energy minister apologizes after ‘harmful’ rap lyrics prompt resignation call

Even if U.S. alcohol returns to provincial shelves, will Canadians buy it?

Advance voting in 3 federal byelections starts Friday. Here’s how to vote

LeBlanc heads back to U.S. for trade talks as clock ticks on tariff pause

PM asks provinces to stock U.S. alcohol

Canadian tribunal says wheat gluten dumping is likely hurting industry

Trump’s tariff pause doesn’t bring trade certainty, industry groups say

Editors Picks

Two great new repairable gadgets

August 22, 2026

One SUV for Different Sides of Family Life: KAIYI X7 Hybrid Makes Room for More

August 22, 2026

Amazon just hiked the prices for Echo, Fire TV, and Kindle products by up to 60 percent

August 22, 2026

Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

August 22, 2026

Latest News

An okay laptop with 16GB of RAM is better than a nice laptop with 8GB, and this $520 HP OmniBook proves it

August 22, 2026

Membrane Solutions Launches New Outdoor Water Filtration Solutions at Outdoor Retailer 2026

August 22, 2026

Solerus Announces Plans for New Growth Fund for High-Net-Worth Investors

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version