Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

The Zigong Lantern Trade Fair was held in Zigong

May 19, 2026

Pune, Mumbai, and Gurgaon See Rising Demand for Fridge and Washing Machine Rentals in 2026 as ₹65,000 Appliance Buys Lose to ₹1,400/Month Rental Plans From Rentomojo

May 19, 2026

Snom launches new A350D Bluetooth headphones

May 19, 2026

Demand for rental homes is particularly brisk right now: “A clear shift in trend compared to last year”

May 19, 2026

KR Securities (Hong Kong) Limited Announces New Client Portal, International Expansion Plans, and 18 Years of Online Presence

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Umar Zameer’s lawyer blasts ‘Trumpian’ demands for judge to apologize
News

Umar Zameer’s lawyer blasts ‘Trumpian’ demands for judge to apologize

By News RoomMarch 19, 20264 Mins Read
Umar Zameer’s lawyer blasts ‘Trumpian’ demands for judge to apologize
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The lawyer who represented Umar Zameer is calling for a public inquiry into how police handled his client’s case and the creation of a new investigation by Ontario Provincial Police that cleared three Toronto officers of potentially colluding.

Defence lawyer Nadar Hasan panned the OPP report, saying it had relitigated evidence the jury had already settled on — and lambasting Toronto’s police union president and Premier Doug Ford, who said the judge in the case should apologize.

Hasan’s client, Zameer, was acquitted of first-degree murder by a jury in the death of Det. Const. Jeffrey Northrup, a plainclothes officer who was fatally run over in downtown Toronto in the summer of 2021.

The judge in that case called into question the testimony of central witnesses in the Crown’s argument — Det. Lisa Forbes, Det. Const. Antonio Correa and Det. Const. Scharnil Pais — suggesting they lied and colluded.

Over the past two years, OPP has conducted an investigation into the suggestion, which cleared the officers this week.

After the report was made public, Toronto Police Association President Clayton Campbell said the judge should apologize for suggesting the police officers lied. Premier Ford echoed the call at an unrelated event.

Hasan said the demand was a “Trumpian” attempt to undermine the independence of the justice system.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

“The premier who loudly denounced Mr. Zameer being granted bail five years ago has shoved his oar in to say that the trial judge ought to apologize,” he said.

“If this sort of Trumpian interference with the court process happened in another country, we would be laughing at the absurdity of it all.”

Legal observers and civil liberties advocates have also condemned the call for an apology as an attack on the independence of the judiciary.

“Judicial independence is a cornerstone of our constitutional democracy,” Adam Weisberg, president of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association, said in a statement.

“Judges cannot and should not change or apologize for their decisions based on requests from other branches of government or from witnesses in a case.”

Shakir Rahim, director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association’s criminal justice program, said the calls for an apology are “wholly unacceptable.”

Hasan raised concerns about the OPP report before it was even published, noting neither he nor Zameer had been consulted.

On Thursday, he was deeply critical of it for relying on evidence the jury rejected, including details of where Northrup was when Zameer’s vehicle struck him.


“This case was decided decisively by a jury two years ago, after a jury heard all of the evidence,” he told reporters on Thursday. “We expected the worst from a police investigation into other police. These kinds of reviews invariably range from the inadequate to outright whitewashing… But what we got was far worse.”

Hasan said he wants to see a public inquiry into what went wrong with his client’s arrest and charging, as well as a broader look into the new OPP investigation.

“It’s scandalous that these sister police agencies are now trying to pass this off as either an independent investigation or one that uncovered new evidence,” he said.

Hasan demanded the release of all communications between Toronto police, its union and OPP during the drafting of the investigation.

“We need to now set the record straight about this so-called OPP report that was released this week,” he said.

“We are here today because we are witnessing a chilling moment in the history of the Canadian justice system.”

After the release of the report, Toronto Police Chief Myron Demkiw praised Forbes, Correa and Pais for their resilience.

“Their reputations were questioned publicly and repeatedly, their credibility was challenged and in the court of public opinion, some had convicted them,” he said at a news conference Tuesday.

“That is an extraordinarily heavy burden for anyone to carry.”

–with files from The Canadian Press

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

Canadian Shai Gilgeous-Alexander becomes 14th player to win back-to-back NBA MVPs

RCMP probing gas heist after 5K litres of fuel stolen from Edmonton station

Quebec can help France in ‘many areas,’ Emmanuel Macron says

Parts of Ontario set for ‘first heat event of the season’: Environment Canada

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who helped spearhead Special Olympics, dies at 96

New York consul general’s former Park Avenue residence has sold

U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada

Editors Picks

Pune, Mumbai, and Gurgaon See Rising Demand for Fridge and Washing Machine Rentals in 2026 as ₹65,000 Appliance Buys Lose to ₹1,400/Month Rental Plans From Rentomojo

May 19, 2026

Snom launches new A350D Bluetooth headphones

May 19, 2026

Demand for rental homes is particularly brisk right now: “A clear shift in trend compared to last year”

May 19, 2026

KR Securities (Hong Kong) Limited Announces New Client Portal, International Expansion Plans, and 18 Years of Online Presence

May 19, 2026

Latest News

Kalmar brings the fully electric TT7 terminal tractor to European markets

May 19, 2026

Statkraft to reinvest in Norwegian hydropower

May 19, 2026

Tomoland Raises USD 2 Million to Bring AI-Powered UGC Platform to Web3, Sells Out Blueprint Founder Pass in 2 hours

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version