Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Mutuum Finance (MUTM) Surpasses $20.6M in Funding as Institutional Interest Cools in Expensive Altcoins

February 21, 2026

Mutuum Finance (MUTM) Activates V1 Protocol on Sepolia Testnet, Signaling Shift to Public Validation

February 21, 2026

Anker’s powerful home theater on wheels is pure chaos

February 21, 2026

Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff

February 20, 2026

Neotext Taps Multi-Awarded Director Alice Waddington to Bring Cult Action Novel Anonymous Jane to the Screen

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff
News

Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff

By News RoomFebruary 20, 20265 Mins Read
Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff

The majority of Canadian exports will remain exempted from Donald Trump’s new 10 per cent global levy, as the U.S. president pivots after the Supreme Court dealt a blow to his plans to realign global trade.

A fact sheet from the White House said the latest tariff will not hit goods compliant under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico agreement on trade, known as CUSMA.

The duty will also not be applied on top of sector-specific tariffs like steel, aluminum and automobiles.

Trump signed an executive order Friday to enact the worldwide tariff beginning on Tuesday using Section 122 of the 1974 Trade Act. That duty can only stay in place for 150 days, unless Congress votes to extend it.

“Those members of the Supreme Court who voted against our very acceptable and proper method of TARIFFS should be ashamed of themselves,” Trump posted on social media.

“Their decision was ridiculous but, now the adjustment process begins, and we will do everything possible to take in even more money than we were taking in before!”

Earlier Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court concluded it was not legal for Trump to use the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, better known as IEEPA, for his “Liberation Day” tariffs and fentanyl-related duties on Canada, Mexico and China.

Trump declared an emergency at the northern border related to the flow of fentanyl in order to use IEEPA to hit Canada with 35 per cent tariffs. Those duties did not apply to goods compliant under CUSMA.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

In a 6-3 ruling, the court said the U.S. Constitution “very clearly” gives Congress power over taxes and tariffs. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote “the Framers did not vest any part of the taxing power in the Executive Branch.”

The ruling did not say whether companies hammered by those tariffs should get refunds. As of December, federal data showed US$133 billion had been collected.

The court’s decision “reinforces Canada’s position that the IEEPA tariffs imposed by the United States are unjustified,” said Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc in a post on social media.

“While Canada has the best trade deal with the United States of any trading partner, we recognize that critical work lies ahead to support Canadian businesses and workers who remain affected by Section 232 tariffs on steel, aluminum and automotive sectors,” LeBlanc said.

During a 40-minute press conference Friday afternoon, Trump lashed out at the Supreme Court justices and said the decision was “incorrect.” Trump also denigrated Europe as too “woke” and took aim at Canada, saying the country ripped off the U.S. and stole car plants.

Trump claimed that Canada said it hoped he would win at the Supreme Court “because if you don’t win you’ll actually be able to charge us, with additional work, higher tariffs.”

LeBlanc spoke with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer by phone recently. When asked for comment on Trump’s claim about Canada, LeBlanc’s office referred to his social media statement.

Greer told “Fox News” Friday that while the 10 per cent tariff is in place, the Trump administration will begin investigations of countries under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974.

That allows a president to take trade actions if the investigation finds a trading partner’s policies are unreasonable and discriminatory, but it would take months and include a period for public comment.

Friday’s ruling will have little effect on the Canadian economy since most of its exports to the U.S. are shielded by the CUSMA carveout, said CIBC chief economist Avery Shenfeld.

Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said it’s “not the last chapter of this never-ending story.” She cautioned that Canada should prepare for “new, blunter mechanisms to be used to reassert trade pressure.”

Trump’s tariffs and threats of annexation have rattled Canada ahead of a mandatory review of the CUSMA trilateral trade pact later this year. Trump has called the trade agreement “irrelevant” and said it may have served its purpose.

A successful CUSMA review must see Trump’s separate sectoral tariffs dropped, said Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre in a social media post.

Poilievre criticized Prime Minister Mark Carney for not securing a deal with the Trump administration.

“The truth is no one can control what President Trump will say or do and so we must instead focus on what we can control,” Poilievre said. “We must unblock our energy and minerals, unleash our economy, and bolster our military and self-reliance for leverage to fight for tariff-free trade with the U.S.”

The Supreme Court’s decision is a win for U.S. separation of powers and the American and Canadian economies, said George Mason University law professor Ilya Somin, who represented small businesses pushing back on the tariffs.

“But also for the rule of law,” Somin told The Canadian Press. “The rule of law is at odds with a system under which the president can impose any tariffs he wants on any country for any reason at any time.”

—With files from Craig Lord, Kyle Duggan and The Associated Press


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Montreal promises new approach to homeless with encampment ‘tolerance zones’

City of Kelowna security patrols should be expanded to Rutland, business owners say

Saskatchewan dancers head to Dublin for Dance World Cup, representing Canada

Canada warn First Nations people to carry passport when crossing U.S. border

Gang prevention program for Muslim youth in Maritimes receives federal funding

Nova Scotia’s $20-million subsidy for Maine ferry is a good value, says new study

Police uncover new evidence in Brampton kidnapping case involving $200K demand

Are Canadian jobs any safer than before Trump’s tariffs were struck down?

Central Social Hall sold to restaurant franchisor Foodtastic with aim of expanding Alberta chain

Editors Picks

Mutuum Finance (MUTM) Activates V1 Protocol on Sepolia Testnet, Signaling Shift to Public Validation

February 21, 2026

Anker’s powerful home theater on wheels is pure chaos

February 21, 2026

Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff

February 20, 2026

Neotext Taps Multi-Awarded Director Alice Waddington to Bring Cult Action Novel Anonymous Jane to the Screen

February 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Canada news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Montreal promises new approach to homeless with encampment ‘tolerance zones’

February 20, 2026

‘The Jay Walker Podcast’ to premiere Globally on Tubi this summer

February 20, 2026

City of Kelowna security patrols should be expanded to Rutland, business owners say

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version