Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

AWS Places Mactores at Premier Tier: Forward-Deployed Engineers cut a Six-Month Claims Cycle to Twelve Weeks in Production

August 18, 2026

InternSync Launches High School-First Opportunity Platform for Students Locked Out of Traditional Networks

August 18, 2026

Einride Reports First Half 2026 Results

August 18, 2026

Khaleej Times Interviews FREELANDER International CEO Lucia Mao on Global Strategy and Middle East Vision

August 18, 2026

MegaSurge Capital Launches European Market Assessment Program to Explore Institutional Trading Opportunities

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Toronto spent tax dollars on World Cup tickets. The city says it’s almost sold them all
News

Toronto spent tax dollars on World Cup tickets. The city says it’s almost sold them all

By News RoomJune 5, 20262 Mins Read
Toronto spent tax dollars on World Cup tickets. The city says it’s almost sold them all
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The City of Toronto says only a fraction of the 2026 FIFA World Cup tickets it bought as an investment remain unsold, with the soccer gamble looking set to pay off a week before the games begin.

Officials put a plan into action last year to use host city privileges to buy more than 3,500 general admissions tickets to the six international soccer matches taking place in Toronto, planning to sell them on for a profit to fund future events.

Fifty-two of the tickets were put aside to run a sweepstakes, while the city also shelled out millions more to buy hospitality tickets to be resold as “a revenue generation strategy.”

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

Now, with one week to go until Canada versus Bosnia and Herzegovina marks the beginning of the World Cup in Toronto, the city is suggesting its strategy has paid off.

“There are currently less than 70 unsold tickets of the 3,546 tickets purchased, and these are expected to sell out through the Host City Donor agreements before the tournament,” a spokesperson told Global News.

They said the tickets had been sold to “groups ranging from corporations to the passionate supporters of the countries playing in Toronto, ensuring a return on the City of Toronto’s investment, and providing access to this historic event.”


The city added that, even with another 70 tickets still to shift, the initial multi-million-dollar spend had been covered and Toronto would indeed generate revenue from the venture.

Officials would not say how much money they were expecting to take in.

In total, Toronto will host six matches at BMO Field, which has been rebranded as Toronto Stadium for the duration of the World Cup.

Countries set to play in the city include Germany, Senegal and Croatia, with games taking place between June 12 and July 2.

The total cost is currently pegged at $380 million, with contributions from federal, provincial and municipal governments.

The largest share is being paid by the City of Toronto.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Iranian regime member deported from Canada, CBSA confirms

Nova Scotia minister faces calls to resign over resurfaced rap lyrics

B.C. plywood manufacturer says it cannot absorb 50% tariff cost as deadline looms

Summerland residents begin returning home as roughly 1,200 properties cleared for re-entry

Maritime diaper banks report growing demand as families struggle with costs

Montreal jazz icon Oliver Jones to be remembered at public funeral in Little Burgundy

Manitoba’s largest hospital still recovering after cyberattack

Faulty extension cord blamed for N.S. fire that killed 10K chickens

Experts say Canadian youth social media ban likely to see Charter challenge

Editors Picks

InternSync Launches High School-First Opportunity Platform for Students Locked Out of Traditional Networks

August 18, 2026

Einride Reports First Half 2026 Results

August 18, 2026

Khaleej Times Interviews FREELANDER International CEO Lucia Mao on Global Strategy and Middle East Vision

August 18, 2026

MegaSurge Capital Launches European Market Assessment Program to Explore Institutional Trading Opportunities

August 18, 2026

Latest News

48 Hours to Go: Alpha Arena Finalists Gear Up for the Bali Stage

August 18, 2026

Hong Kong Wine & Dine Festival Returns this Autumn

August 18, 2026

Sonoco Names Francesco Giannolo Vice President/General Manager Consumer Packaging, EMEA

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version