Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Free Car Wash Days to Celebrate Upgrades at ZIPS Car Wash

August 20, 2026

Alberta minister to host second AI data centre town hall for northern Sturgeon County

August 20, 2026

TSS Photography Named a Most Innovative Franchise for Fourth Consecutive Year

August 20, 2026

Here’s what data Comcast says its motion-detecting routers collect

August 20, 2026

TalkingParents Wins 2026 Global Tech Award for Parenting Technology

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Quebec prosecutor stays charges against 11 Longueuil teens
News

Quebec prosecutor stays charges against 11 Longueuil teens

By News RoomAugust 20, 20263 Mins Read
Quebec prosecutor stays charges against 11 Longueuil teens
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Quebec’s Crown prosecutor says it has stayed charges against 11 teens in Longueuil.

The teens were facing charges in connection with alleged events preceding the death of a 15-year-old boy who was fatally shot by Longueuil police last September.

The police killing of Nooran Rezayi led to police watchdog and criminal investigations into the actions of Longueuil police.

The watchdog also asked Montreal police to investigate the events leading up to the shooting.

The charges against the 11 teens included conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to commit unlawful confinement, conspiracy to commit assault, wearing a disguise for a criminal purpose, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and unlawful assembly.

None of the charges included harm to a person or possession of a firearm, but police did not provide any more details on the weapons found.

The prosecutor’s office said in a news release that it received new evidence after the charges were filed that raised a complex legal issue.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

It specified that the legal proceedings are temporarily suspended and could be resumed within one year pending further analysis and consultations. It said it would not provide further comment.

Montreal police said it would not comment on the Crown’s decision, saying its investigation ended at the end of June, when it announced the charges had been laid.

In an email, police said several searches took place on Montreal’s South Shore in February and police submitted evidence to the Crown in May. Police said it completed its investigation, which resulted in arrest warrants for five suspects and charges laid against another six.

“The charges, which vary depending on the individuals involved, were all authorized by the (Crown prosecutor’s) Youth Affairs Office,” police said.


In June, police said the youth facing charges were between 13 and 17 years old at the time of the events. They did not confirm the relationship between all 11 people or whether they were at the scene when Rezayi was killed, or whether Rezayi was considered a suspect in the investigation.

The police watchdog has said the only firearm seized at the scene by its investigators in September belonged to the officer who shot Rezayi. The watchdog also said investigators seized a baseball bat, a backpack and ski masks, but no sharp-edged weapons.

Witnesses told The Canadian Press in September that the group of young people said they were going to shoot a movie in a nearby wooded area prior to the police intervention.

The Rezayi family filed a lawsuit against the officers involved and the City of Longueuil last December.

In the lawsuit, the family alleges that Rezayi and five friends, all racialized teenagers, were sitting on a sidewalk looking at their phones when a police car drove toward them at high speed. The family said video taken by residents in nearby homes showed police shooting at Rezayi within 10 seconds of parking their car on scene.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Alberta minister to host second AI data centre town hall for northern Sturgeon County

Motorcycle rider pronounced dead after crash in Toronto

Saskatchewan courts to allow use of eagle feathers

Longtime Toronto councillor Paula Fletcher announces retirement

Studies suggest public transit may improve health

Canadian military history on display at Whoop-Up Days

No charges for Regina officer who fatally shot homicide suspect: watchdog

Moe optimistic about Canada-U.S. trade deal

Manitoba’s teacher watchdog heard 94 misconduct complaints in first 15 months

Editors Picks

Alberta minister to host second AI data centre town hall for northern Sturgeon County

August 20, 2026

TSS Photography Named a Most Innovative Franchise for Fourth Consecutive Year

August 20, 2026

Here’s what data Comcast says its motion-detecting routers collect

August 20, 2026

TalkingParents Wins 2026 Global Tech Award for Parenting Technology

August 20, 2026

Latest News

American Urological Association Names Next Editor of The Journal of Urology®

August 20, 2026

PRICES SLASHED UP TO 40% OFF FOR DIVI RESORTS' SUMMER BLOWOUT TRAVEL SALE

August 20, 2026

Monarch Game Studios Launches Investment Round to Connect Video Games Into a Live Rewards Network

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version