Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

EHang Launches Global Fast Track Program to Accelerate International Commercialization of Pilotless eVTOL; Sri Lanka First to Adopt

August 19, 2026

DNA technology helps identify New Brunswick woman decades after death

August 19, 2026

SOUEAST Rides MENA’s Electrification Wave with Its Hybrid Portfolio

August 19, 2026

Quebec couple sues Ontario surrogacy agency after stillbirth, alleges improper expenses

August 19, 2026

Brantone Veylor Launches Its European Strategic Expansion

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Quebec municipalities group calls government to address public transit underfunding
News

Quebec municipalities group calls government to address public transit underfunding

By News RoomMay 30, 20262 Mins Read
Quebec municipalities group calls government to address public transit underfunding
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A group representing Quebec municipalities is calling on the next provincial government to boost funding for public transit agencies, which say they will need $20 billion by 2035 just to maintain their assets.

The chair of the Union des municipalités du Québec’s large cities caucus says investments in public transit are also investments in the population’s quality of life.

Maude Marquis-Bissonnette says the public needs transportation that’s faster, easier and more accessible, and that good public transit helps combat cost of living concerns.

The Association du transport urbain du Québec says the $20 billion is needed just to maintain existing public transit infrastructure.

Edmond Leclerc, the chair of the association’s board of directors, says the cities are also facing a $550 million shortfall in funding for transit operations in the coming years.

The municipalities group says it wants stable, predictable, and sustainable funding, as well as a reduction in bureaucracy, provincial micromanagement and administrative delays.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“We believe the Quebec government is capable of making an effort toward efficiency, that it’s capable of optimizing how it handles current investments,” said Marquis-Bissonnette, who is also the mayor of Gatineau.

She said the province also wastes money, citing the example of the construction of a garage to charge electric buses in Quebec City. She said the Quebec government withdrew funding partway through the project, after $94 million had already been spent.


“Currently, there’s a tarp covering the construction site,” she said.

Laval Mayor Stéphane Boyer, for his part, criticized what he called the government’s “stop-and-go” approach.

“In 2021, the Quebec government had granted a $2.2 million subsidy to conduct a study on implementing a high service level bus system with dedicated lanes on Concorde Boulevard,” he said. The next year, Quebec halted the project even though “the studies were 90 per cent complete,” he said.

As a result, the city lost $65 million in federal grants and “wasted $2 million on incomplete studies,” he said.

Marquis-Bissonnette said the underfunding threatens transit systems that are in desperate need of maintenance. That includes Montreal’s aging metro system, which dates to the 1960s and 1970s, and a lift in Sherbrooke, Que. that is needed to hoist buses in need of repairs.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

DNA technology helps identify New Brunswick woman decades after death

Quebec couple sues Ontario surrogacy agency after stillbirth, alleges improper expenses

Nova Scotia Power doesn’t know why hacked customer data wasn’t previously deleted

Wetaskiwin mayor returning to city hall after being banned

Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton

Former MP Nate Erskine-Smith to enter Toronto city council race

More than 4.7K health-care workers hired in Manitoba since 2023: province

Bellingham, Wash. businesses say continued decline in Canadian visitors damaging

Unauthorized drugs seized from Montreal store by Health Canada

Editors Picks

DNA technology helps identify New Brunswick woman decades after death

August 19, 2026

SOUEAST Rides MENA’s Electrification Wave with Its Hybrid Portfolio

August 19, 2026

Quebec couple sues Ontario surrogacy agency after stillbirth, alleges improper expenses

August 19, 2026

Brantone Veylor Launches Its European Strategic Expansion

August 19, 2026

Latest News

China Foreign Trade Industry Annual Mega-Event “XTransfer Summit 26” Concludes Successfully

August 19, 2026

AI-Driven Efficiency in Cross-Border Trade Payments: XTransfer Cracks the “Impossible Trinity”

August 19, 2026

LSP44 Names Robert Zehentbauer Head of Sales, EMEA North

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version