Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Alberta to hold first AI data centre town halls this week

August 19, 2026

Trump’s tariff pause doesn’t bring trade certainty, industry groups say

August 19, 2026

The women’s soccer league trying to fix fantasy sports

August 19, 2026

Heritage Toronto’s Plaque Friday videos showcase city’s history with viral moments

August 19, 2026

Amazon seemingly leaked Jason Statham’s entire Mutiny movie

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Photos show individual on Penticton construction site moments before destructive fire
News

Photos show individual on Penticton construction site moments before destructive fire

By News RoomJune 5, 20263 Mins Read
Photos show individual on Penticton construction site moments before destructive fire
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

There are new questions about what happened just moments before a massive fire destroyed a long-term care home under construction on Penticton, B.C.’s Green Avenue last week.

While the cause is being investigated, Global News has obtained photos of a person on the construction site just minutes before flames erupted and the fire department was called.

One photo shows the person approaching the frame of a window while another picture appears to show the person jumping out of it.

Sources tell Global News that RCMP were called to the site for a possible trespassing complaint with the responding officer noticing flames soon after arriving.

RCMP have not yet confirmed the trespassing call.

According to the City of Kelowna, RCMP have now taken over the investigation.

“The fire department is working in collaboration with the RCMP, but the RCMP is now in charge of the investigation from here on out,” said Kristen Dixon, general manager of infrastructure and deputy city manager for the City of Penticton.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

Late Wednesday, the city rescinded its local state of emergency and evacuation order for 10 properties.

“I came down right away,” said Brenda van Ingen, one of the evacuees. “So relieved.”

The fire destroyed one home, while several others sustained some fire and smoke damage.

It also scorched part of a crane on the site, potentially compromising its structural integrity, which prompted a handful of homes in its vicinity to be evacuated.

“It was difficult to get the inspection completed for the crane but the engineer was able to do that inspection and complete it yesterday and confirmed that it is stable, to allow the area to be deemed safe to return,” Dixon said.


Van Ingen’s home is one of the properties deemed to be at risk if the crane fell.

She’s feeling grateful not only to have returned home but to one that’s still standing.

“Thank goodness. It could have been so much worse,” van Ingen said.

The fire department said flying embers caused six additional fires in the neighbourhood, one of them in the cedar hedge between her house and the neighbouring property.

“Apparently it was in full flame and obviously the firemen got in here, otherwise Norm’s house would have been gone, my shed and it would have probably been my house too,” she said.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Alberta to hold first AI data centre town halls this week

Heritage Toronto’s Plaque Friday videos showcase city’s history with viral moments

DNA technology helps identify New Brunswick woman decades after death

Quebec couple sues Ontario surrogacy agency after stillbirth, alleges improper expenses

Nova Scotia Power doesn’t know why hacked customer data wasn’t previously deleted

Wetaskiwin mayor returning to city hall after being banned

Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton

Former MP Nate Erskine-Smith to enter Toronto city council race

More than 4.7K health-care workers hired in Manitoba since 2023: province

Editors Picks

Trump’s tariff pause doesn’t bring trade certainty, industry groups say

August 19, 2026

The women’s soccer league trying to fix fantasy sports

August 19, 2026

Heritage Toronto’s Plaque Friday videos showcase city’s history with viral moments

August 19, 2026

Amazon seemingly leaked Jason Statham’s entire Mutiny movie

August 19, 2026

Latest News

North Texas Food Bank Launches 13th Annual Peanut Butter Drive as Child Hunger Reaches New High

August 19, 2026

SpringGreen Franchise Leaders Help Shape the Future of Lawn, Pest and Tree Care

August 19, 2026

MEXC Launches Win: Infinity Arena With 0-Fee Stock Trading and Up to 10M USDT Prize Pool

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version