Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Winner Medical Breaks Ground on New Production Base in Vietnam to Serve Global Medical Supply Chains Through Local Manufacturing

May 20, 2026

Australian Creative Business Mentor Jai Long Announces November Launch of Make Your Break as He Sets Sights on New York Times Best Seller List

May 20, 2026

Luvme Hair Releases 2026 Natural Everyday Wig Guide for Realistic, Low-Maintenance Daily Styling

May 20, 2026

STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten Delivers “AI Starter” Keynote at University of Adelaide

May 20, 2026

Calgary residents tired of barrage of trash from ‘garbage tornado’

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Ontario records consecutive months of improving housing starts
News

Ontario records consecutive months of improving housing starts

By News RoomMarch 16, 20262 Mins Read
Ontario records consecutive months of improving housing starts
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Homebuilding in Ontario is showing early signs of recovery ahead of the spring construction season, potentially beginning to reverse years of decline.

New data released by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) shows housing starts in the province increased year-over-year for the second month in a row.

According to the data, the number of new homes started in February increased 17 per cent this year to 4,665. Only 387 of them were single-family homes.

While the CMHC found Toronto’s housing starts dipped by almost 30 per cent, other places recorded a significant increase.

Overall, over the opening two months of the year, Ontario reported a 14-per cent increase compared to the same period in 2025. That was substantially above the national average of five per cent.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

The two months of growing housing starts will be welcome news for the Ford government, which has presided over years of stalling housing construction.

Initially, the premier blamed rising interest rates for the lack of housing, promising new homes would sprout “like mushrooms” if rates dropped.

But when the cost of borrowing fell, the housing market didn’t rebound. Ford suggested the cost of building approvals and permits from cities was to blame, an issue his administration has repeatedly tried to address through legislation.

Toward the end of last year, Ontario unveiled a new home tax incentive for first-time buyers. A couple of months after it was introduced, the premier said he knew it wouldn’t work.


Global News now understands the measure will be expanded to include anyone buying a new-build home, not just first-time purchasers.

While the government has admitted its goal of 1.5 million new homes by 2031 is now a “soft target,” Housing Minister Rob Flack is hoping changes brought in last year will help spur construction for this spring.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Calgary residents tired of barrage of trash from ‘garbage tornado’

Massive tunnel-boring machine begins drilling Montreal’s blue line metro extension

Saskatoon production aims to preserve the Nakoda language through a puppet show

Consultations with Sask. producers ‘an opportunity’ for collaboration, says minister

First Nation says it has evidence dozens of children died attending residential school

Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

West Island commuters confused after Fairview bus terminal relocates

Carney touts new construction at Quebec mine after fast-tracking major project

Tornado warnings issued across parts of southern Ontario as severe storms move through

Editors Picks

Australian Creative Business Mentor Jai Long Announces November Launch of Make Your Break as He Sets Sights on New York Times Best Seller List

May 20, 2026

Luvme Hair Releases 2026 Natural Everyday Wig Guide for Realistic, Low-Maintenance Daily Styling

May 20, 2026

STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten Delivers “AI Starter” Keynote at University of Adelaide

May 20, 2026

Calgary residents tired of barrage of trash from ‘garbage tornado’

May 20, 2026

Latest News

Bonduelle reinvents itself with a new brand identity and a communication campaign to ‘Let Good Win’

May 20, 2026

Massive tunnel-boring machine begins drilling Montreal’s blue line metro extension

May 20, 2026

Kalmar expands its Shanghai plant to optimise operations and enhance production capacity

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version