Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

One in Four Americans Can’t Name Their Retirement Provider as Dormant Accounts Surge

February 17, 2026

Ontario town to celebrate Olympic gold medallist

February 17, 2026

ITS connects Kyrgyz broker Royal Pure Gold as its 20th broker partner and continues its global expansion

February 17, 2026

RGNX DEADLINE ALERT: Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Reminds REGENXBIO (RGNX) Investors of Securities Class Action Deadline on April 14, 2026

February 17, 2026

Apple is reportedly planning to launch AI-powered glasses, a pendant, and AirPods

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » ‘No funds are missing’: Ontario real estate firm disputes regulator’s sanctions
News

‘No funds are missing’: Ontario real estate firm disputes regulator’s sanctions

By News RoomFebruary 17, 20263 Mins Read
‘No funds are missing’: Ontario real estate firm disputes regulator’s sanctions
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
‘No funds are missing’: Ontario real estate firm disputes regulator’s sanctions

An Ontario real estate firm recently penalized by the industry’s regulator is disputing the “unwarranted” sanctions placed against it.

Henein Hutchison Robitaille LLP, which has been retained by Save Max First Choice Real Estate, said in a statement Friday that the Real Estate Council of Ontario’s “disproportionate” actions against four Mississauga-based brokerages are causing “serious harm” to the firm’s business, agents, brokers and clients.

Earlier this month, RECO froze the brokerages’ trust accounts over allegations that roughly $2.7 million was disbursed unlawfully from those accounts.

“This is not accurate. This did not occur,” Henein Hutchison Robitaille LLP’s statement reads.

“Contrary to the rumours circulating about what is in Save Max’s trust accounts, no funds are missing.”

RECO alleged the money was typically replaced before month’s end, when brokerages are required to complete a reconciliation of a real estate trust account.

The money, RECO claims, was used outside of the terms of the trust, including for loan payments, property management fees, taxes, credit card balances and vendor services.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

RECO also suspended two brokers and issued notices of proposal to revoke registration against them and the brokerages.

Henein Hutchison Robitaille LLP said RECO is targeting Save Max in a bid to save its reputation as the provincial government considers taking control of it.


“It is well known that RECO failed in its regulatory obligations in handling the iPro Realty trust fund misappropriation scandal,” the law firm said.

“Save Max is not iPro. Nor is this an opportunity for RECO to rehabilitate its reputation as a competent regulator. Jobs and people’s homes hang in the balance.”

Samantha Pinto, chief regulatory modernization officer with RECO, told Global News they won’t comment on specifics to “protect the integrity” of active regulatory action.

“However, the misuse of Real Estate Trust Accounts funds is a serious breach of the law and of public trust. The law is unequivocal: money held in Real Estate Trust Accounts does not belong to brokerages,” Pinto said.

“It cannot be used, temporarily or otherwise, for operating expenses, cash-flow management, or any purpose outside what the law expressly permits. Conduct that undermines these obligations will not be tolerated.”

In November 2025, Ontario’s minister of public and business service delivery said an audit of RECO identified issues with its practices, processes and procedures.

The audit investigated RECO’s handling of what it describes as iPro Realty’s “misappropriation” of funds.

RECO ordered iPro to close in August after shortfalls in its consumer deposit and commission trust accounts were uncovered.

At the time, RECO said the shortfalls amounted to about $10.5 million, calling it a “serious breach” of the agency’s responsibilities under the law and to its customers and agents.

However, the province’s audit government found that iPro had told RECO its trust accounts had a $10-million shortfall nearly three months before RECO acted.

RECO’s insurer, Alternative Risk Services, has projected the total losses submitted as claims to be approximately $30 million.

RECO has said it’s committed to working collaboratively with the province on reforms.

“These allegations, together with RECO’s disproportionate action, have caused serious harm to Save Max’s business, agents, brokers, and clients,” Henein Hutchison Robitaille LLP said.

“We will respond in the appropriate forum.”

— with files from The Canadian Press

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Anti-whaling campaigner takes aim at Nova Scotia’s Whale Sanctuary Project

Okanagan parents fear new funding model will hurt children on autism spectrum

Don Cherry, 92, receives Order of Ontario appointment

Inflation cooled to 2.3% in January but food prices up again: StatCan

Road to ruin: Montreal’s pothole problems have solutions — but city lacks money

Canadian immigration officers investigating hundreds identified by extortion task force

Anti-feminist ideology ‘increasingly relevant’ to national security: CSIS

One person injured, dog dead after suspected arson at Windsor, Ont., home

Child dies in car crash in northern Quebec

Editors Picks

Ontario town to celebrate Olympic gold medallist

February 17, 2026

ITS connects Kyrgyz broker Royal Pure Gold as its 20th broker partner and continues its global expansion

February 17, 2026

RGNX DEADLINE ALERT: Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Reminds REGENXBIO (RGNX) Investors of Securities Class Action Deadline on April 14, 2026

February 17, 2026

Apple is reportedly planning to launch AI-powered glasses, a pendant, and AirPods

February 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Canada news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

$200 No Deposit Bonus 200 Free Spins Real Money Offered By Cafe Casino

February 17, 2026

Free Welcome Bonus No Deposit Required Real Money – Free Spins No Deposit Offered By Cafe Casino

February 17, 2026

The Bahamas Brings Island Vibes to the 25th Annual South Beach Wine & Food Festival

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version