Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Final Showdown in Barcelona! OMODA Charges into the VCT EMEA Grand Finals!

August 18, 2026

Bitget Launches Fixed Coupon Notes for US Stock rTokens

August 18, 2026

Canadians show interest in Indigenous-led tourism, but participation remains low, new Intrepid Travel research reveals

August 18, 2026

ATX Networks Showcases Network Reliability and Real-World Experience at SCTE TechExpo 2026

August 18, 2026

Fabletics Expands College Shop to Include More Than 200 Campuses Nationwide

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Future of Penticton homeless encampment to be decided by the courts in July
News

Future of Penticton homeless encampment to be decided by the courts in July

By News RoomJune 3, 20263 Mins Read
Future of Penticton homeless encampment to be decided by the courts in July
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The future of the Fairview homeless encampment in Penticton, B.C., will return to court next month as concerns continue to grow over safety at the site following a series of fires.

The latest incident occurred Sunday when a tent caught fire at the encampment.

The blaze followed a larger and more explosive fire two weeks earlier, one of numerous fires at the site in recent months.

The encampment is located on provincial land.

In February, the province filed a civil suit seeking an injunction that would allow it to dismantle the camp.

However, the case was postponed to give residents time to secure legal representation

A court hearing is now scheduled to resume on July 20.

“The city has done everything that it can do legally to deal with the situation of the encampment,” said Penticton Mayor Julius Bloomfield. “We’ve been working with the province for the province to do the same.”

Bloomfield said he met with B.C. Attorney General Nikki Sharma last week to discuss the encampment and challenges and risks it poses.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

“We discussed the encampment and the fact that the encampment is on provincial land,” Bloomfield said.

“It was on both city and provincial land and we’ve successfully managed to clear the city land portion but it remains a problem and the province acknowledged that, the Attorney General acknowledged that.”

Independent MLA for Penticton-Summerland Amelia Boultbee said the legal process is taking too long, particularly given ongoing safety concerns at the site.

“I’ve been saying to the ministry for some time now that it’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed,” Boultbee said. “July 20th to 30th, not even remotely fast enough. This should have been done a year ago.”


According to the Penticton Access Centre, the organization supporting encampment residents through the legal process, lawyers have now been secured to represent residents when the hearing resumes.

If the injunction is granted, the province would have the legal authority to evict the roughly two dozen people living at the encampment and clear the site.

In a statement, the Ministry of Housing said the encampment is not a safe place for people to shelter and that the province remains committed to moving people indoors.

However, advocates have argued that local shelter space is at or near capacity, leaving few alternatives for those living at the site.

While Boultbee supports clearing the encampment because of safety concerns, she said more action is needed to address the factors contributing to homelessness and addiction.

“We really need to address the root causes of these devastating social problems,” Boultbee said. “I’ve always maintained that we need detox beds here in Penticton-Summerland. We don’t currently have any and folks need access to real, actual treatment.”

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Bellingham, Wash. businesses say continued decline in Canadian visitors damaging

Unauthorized drugs seized from Montreal store by Health Canada

‘Generations of knowledge’ to be shared as SPSA enters MOU with First Nations councils

Store accused of making staff pay to work for it

Crown appealing rare mistrial in Frank Stronach’s sex assault conviction

Fewer people running for trustee in some of Ontario’s supervised school boards

Has there been an increase in big earthquakes worldwide this year?

What’s next for Canada’s wildfire season? Ottawa to share update

B.C.’s provincial health officer to hold news conference amid wildfire smoke warnings

Editors Picks

Bitget Launches Fixed Coupon Notes for US Stock rTokens

August 18, 2026

Canadians show interest in Indigenous-led tourism, but participation remains low, new Intrepid Travel research reveals

August 18, 2026

ATX Networks Showcases Network Reliability and Real-World Experience at SCTE TechExpo 2026

August 18, 2026

Fabletics Expands College Shop to Include More Than 200 Campuses Nationwide

August 18, 2026

Latest News

Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network

August 18, 2026

DP World Strengthens Ecuador's Trade Connectivity with New Direct Asia Shipping Service

August 18, 2026

Bellingham, Wash. businesses say continued decline in Canadian visitors damaging

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version