Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

DutyFreeDeal.com Announces Its Integration Within Duty Free Zone Group, Strengthening Global Duty-Free Food Distribution Through DutyFreeFood.com

May 20, 2026

24/7 Digital Marketing Introduces “Autopilot Enquiry System” for Consistent 20-30 Qualified Monthly Lead Generation

May 20, 2026

Dental Intelligence Announces New Wave of AI-Powered Features Built for the Way Practices Actually Work

May 20, 2026

London Basin Company Leads Shift to Statement Sinks as British Designers Embrace Countertop Basins

May 20, 2026

Consultations with Sask. producers ‘an opportunity’ for collaboration, says minister

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » First Nation says it has evidence dozens of children died attending residential school
News

First Nation says it has evidence dozens of children died attending residential school

By News RoomMay 19, 20263 Mins Read
First Nation says it has evidence dozens of children died attending residential school
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation has spent years digging in provincial archives, looking for death records of children from the time a residential school operated on the nation.

Now, it says it has evidence dozens of children died while attending the St. Francis Xavier Residential School that was operated on the First Nation in the Grande Prairie region.

“We were able to confirm the 82 school-aged children, with death records aged between seven and 16,” Sturgeon Lake Chief Sheldon Sunshine said.

“We found 202 children between the ages of one and 18 had perished.”

Those deaths cover a period between 1907 and 1961, while the residential school was open.

Nation members believe some of those children outside of the school ages may have also attended St. Francis Xavier, based off records and stories from elders.

“We can’t verify yet until we do the more detailed research on which of those children entered prior to age seven and which stayed later, so the number, 82, could be double that,” research coordinator Gloria Larocque said.

As Sturgeon Lake continues to search for its children, it’s calling on the government to help.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

The chief and council want Ottawa and the Catholic Diocese to share more records on any child who attended the school, if they died and what happened next.

“We’re still going to fight for our kids,” said councillor Rosalyn Goodswimmer.

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) said it reached out to the nation to guide them in the best process to get the information they’re looking for.

“The records referenced are on LAC’s website in redacted form, as they are part of a previously released Access to Information package where personal information remains protected,” the department said in a statement.

“For requests of this type, when a researcher has specific rights and wishes to access records with personal information, they may make a request under Section 8(2)(k) of the Privacy Act for land claims, grievances and disputes where personal information would be released to them for this specific purpose.”

Meanwhile, Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada said it is actively working with Sturgeon Lake to review the progress and discuss their needs going forward.

“Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada provided Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation with $2,174,150 in funding for 2024-25 and 2025-26 to further their initiative,” a spokesperson said in a statement to Global News.

“The Government of Canada acknowledges the important work being led by Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation, Survivors, and research partners to help identify and honour children who never returned home from residential schools.”

Sturgeon Lake says it will also discuss how it will handle possible unmarked burial sites.

A team from the University of Alberta conducted ground searches on the nation, similar to what other First Nations have done at different residential school sites in Alberta.

The team says it found 62 potential unmarked graves, but warns who — or if anyone — is buried there is not confirmed.

It’s part of different research approaches chief Sunshine hopes will lead to one goal.

“Determine the number of children who perished in St. Francis Xavier Residential School,” Sunshine said.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Consultations with Sask. producers ‘an opportunity’ for collaboration, says minister

Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

West Island commuters confused after Fairview bus terminal relocates

Carney touts new construction at Quebec mine after fast-tracking major project

Tornado warnings issued across parts of southern Ontario as severe storms move through

Mission man injured in bear attack outside his home

NAV Canada ‘scraping the barrel’ to prevent flight disruptions, says expert

Remains of missing Brampton teen found in Saskatchewan, deemed suspicious: RCMP

Port of Halifax grain elevator to keep running until at least the end of 2028

Editors Picks

24/7 Digital Marketing Introduces “Autopilot Enquiry System” for Consistent 20-30 Qualified Monthly Lead Generation

May 20, 2026

Dental Intelligence Announces New Wave of AI-Powered Features Built for the Way Practices Actually Work

May 20, 2026

London Basin Company Leads Shift to Statement Sinks as British Designers Embrace Countertop Basins

May 20, 2026

Consultations with Sask. producers ‘an opportunity’ for collaboration, says minister

May 20, 2026

Latest News

URBANICA Furniture Makes Better Workdays Easier to Design

May 20, 2026

Ugreen’s new soccer ball-shaped tracker has up to 7 years of battery life

May 20, 2026

Al Mustafa Welfare Trust Warns of Escalating Water Crisis Devastating Muslim Communities Across Three Continents

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version