Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Tomoland Raises USD 2 Million to Bring AI-Powered UGC Platform to Web3, Sells Out Blueprint Founder Pass in 2 hours

May 19, 2026

Arkay Zero Proof Announces New Production and Labeling Facility in Avignon, France to Serve the European Market

May 19, 2026

Lawrence Doors Announces New Support Options for Door Replacement and Entry Security

May 19, 2026

Fangzhou Ranked among 2025 Guangzhou AI Innovation “Most Promising Enterprises” for AI‑Powered Chronic Disease Services

May 18, 2026

LG will release the first 1000Hz, 1080p gaming monitor this year

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Defence minister clarifies after saying he learnt of base strike from media
News

Defence minister clarifies after saying he learnt of base strike from media

By News RoomMarch 19, 20264 Mins Read
Defence minister clarifies after saying he learnt of base strike from media
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Defence Minister David McGuinty has walked back his remarks about when and how he learned about an Iranian airstrike that may have hit Canadian assets in Kuwait earlier this month.

In prepared remarks Thursday — which he described as a “clarifying statement” — McGuinty said he first learned about the airstrike in a briefing with government officials, not by reading about it in a newspaper.

Earlier in the day, the minister suggested to reporters at a news conference he did not learn about potential damage to the Canadian camp at a Kuwait airbase on March 1 until the Quebec newspaper La Presse reported on it on March 12.

A London Free Press journalist asked McGuinty at an event in Kitchener, Ont., when he had “first learned about this attack.”

The minister replied he was “first informed about the situation in the Middle East while abroad with the prime minister on a global tour in the Indo-Pacific.”

As the reporter was asking a followup question asserting the minister “knew about this before La Presse reported on it 11 days later,” McGuinty quickly interjected.

“No, I didn’t know about it before La Presse reported on it,” McGuinty said. “I saw the La Presse story while I was overseas.”

Later Thursday, McGuinty’s press team sent The Canadian Press a video of the minister reading out a statement “clarifying” his earlier remarks about the airstrike.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“I receive intelligence and security briefings regularly. I am made aware of incidents relating to (Canadian Armed Forces) members and assets around the world. That was the case immediately following the strike, and that continues to be the case,” McGuinty said, reading from a lectern at another event.

“This morning, I was referring specifically to my awareness of a media report and not to the strike itself, which I was informed about by Canadian officials.”

La Presse reported on March 12 that an analysis of satellite imagery suggests the small Canadian section of the Ali Al-Salem airbase sustained damage in an attack on March 1.


McGuinty was travelling to Norway with Prime Minister Mark Carney the day the La Presse story was published. However Carney was asked by reporters about the La Presse report in Yellowknife, N.W.T. on the afternoon of March 12 — before he and McGuinty flew overseas.

“Well, I’m not the only spokesperson for the government,” Carney said that day. “I’d just confirm that members of the Canadian Armed Forces are all safe and sound.”

The minister refused to confirm whether the attack struck or damaged any Canadian assets at the base. He said he would not comment about the strike itself, citing “operational security.”

“This is something we do not talk about. I don’t know why this is a difficult thing to get through,” McGuinty said. “We do not put the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces in harm’s way or at risk. We do not share operational information.”

The federal Conservatives are accusing the government of being too secretive about the war and point out that Canada’s allies are openly sharing such information.

Conservative defence critic James Bezan contends that the government can still inform Canadians in a responsible way without compromising the security of Canadian troops in the region.

Bezan also accused McGuinty shortly after the Kitchener news conference of misleading Canadians about when he knew about the strike.

“This is unacceptable,” Bezan said in a statement to media. “I will be holding the minister to account next week in Parliament.”

Some Canadian federal party leaders with top-secret security clearances are now calling for a closed-door briefing on the airstrike.

McGuinty suggested Thursday that the Liberal government will consider whether to provide a briefing to them, but he did not commit to one.

Canada has some 200 military personnel stationed in the Middle East in six different locations.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

Canadian Shai Gilgeous-Alexander becomes 14th player to win back-to-back NBA MVPs

RCMP probing gas heist after 5K litres of fuel stolen from Edmonton station

Quebec can help France in ‘many areas,’ Emmanuel Macron says

Parts of Ontario set for ‘first heat event of the season’: Environment Canada

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who helped spearhead Special Olympics, dies at 96

New York consul general’s former Park Avenue residence has sold

U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada

Editors Picks

Arkay Zero Proof Announces New Production and Labeling Facility in Avignon, France to Serve the European Market

May 19, 2026

Lawrence Doors Announces New Support Options for Door Replacement and Entry Security

May 19, 2026

Fangzhou Ranked among 2025 Guangzhou AI Innovation “Most Promising Enterprises” for AI‑Powered Chronic Disease Services

May 18, 2026

LG will release the first 1000Hz, 1080p gaming monitor this year

May 18, 2026

Latest News

Crypto Market News: AlphaPepe Presale Surpasses 8,800 Holders as XRP Price Prediction Eyes $7.00

May 18, 2026

New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

May 18, 2026

Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version