Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

‘We can’t run our businesses’: Canadian companies react to U.S. tariffs

August 23, 2026

Trump says Canada wants ‘benefit’ of U.S. state without being one as trade war escalates

August 23, 2026

Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from

August 23, 2026

Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

August 23, 2026

The Bank of Canada’s worried about the rise of private credit. Here’s why

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from
Politics

Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from

By News RoomAugust 23, 20263 Mins Read
Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Conservative Party of Canada is urging the federal government to release the full details of the proposed U.S. deal that prompted Canada to walk away from trade negotiations.

Shuvaloy Majumdar, the party’s critic for Canada-U.S. relations, wrote to Dominic LeBlanc on Sunday asking for details while underscoring his party’s support in fighting for tariff-free trade.

“I am requesting that your government release the full details of the proposed deal from which you chose to walk away on Friday evening,” Majumdar wrote. “If there was a draft text of any agreement that both governments have seen, please release it. The U.S. administration has seen it. Your government has seen it. Canadians deserve to see it.”

Carney withdrew his negotiators late Friday after he said the U.S. “asked too much and offered too little,” but the exact details of what was offered remains limited.

During a news conference on Saturday, Carney there were several outstanding problems Canada had when talks stalled.

That included issues with the levels of auto tariffs, such as which vehicle types would be excluded from a deal, a last-minute addition of restrictions on Canada’s ability to strike free trade deals and efforts targeting French language and Quebec culture.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

Some sources with knowledge of the talks that were held earlier this week told Global News discussions included lowering steel and aluminum duties to 25 per cent and auto tariffs to 15 per cent. Carney had also told premiers to prepare to return U.S. alcohol to store shelves, a sticking point for President Donald Trump. That won’t be happening now due to the suspension of trade talks.

But there are still many other elements not yet known, including what either side may have proposed in those final hours.

“They (Canadians) remain in the dark on the circumstances in which tariffs would have been lifted on many Canadian exports on which millions of jobs depend,” Majumdar said.


The MP for Calgary Heritage acknowledged the government did not provide details previously “so as not to tip its hand” to U.S. negotiators, but with talks stalled he said those concerns “no longer apply in this situation.”

He criticized Carney, saying the prime minister had made “roughly a half-dozen major concessions” before heading to the bargaining table.

“We are here to help and fight for a good result for Canadians,” Majumdar wrote. “But we expect the Prime Minister to be transparent and open with the Canadian people about what the President offered and/or threatened in these talks.”

Global News has reached out to the federal government for comment on the Conservatives’ call for details.

The federal government has seen broad support by politicians of all party lines since the decision was made to walk away. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre on Saturday expressed disappointment the U.S. had chosen to levy more tariffs.

He added his party did not want a bad deal.

“Canada cannot accept one-sided tariffs that will deindustrialize our country. Nor can we accept a bad deal. Instead, we must continue the fight for tariff-free trade,” Poilievre wrote on social media.

Carney has promised to levy “dollar-for-dollar” tariffs to match Trump’s 50 per cent duties in industries such as steel and dairy.

Those counter-tariffs are expected to take effect Sept. 8, the day after Labour Day.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

150th anniversary of Treaty 6 to be commemorated

Canadian premiers appear to back Carney’s decision to abandon ‘bad deal’ with United States

U.S.-Canada trade talks have collapsed. Carney says these 3 issues torpedoed them

Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

WATCH: Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Canada, U.S. race to reach a trade deal before midnight tariff deadline

N.S. energy minister apologizes after ‘harmful’ rap lyrics prompt resignation call

Even if U.S. alcohol returns to provincial shelves, will Canadians buy it?

Editors Picks

Trump says Canada wants ‘benefit’ of U.S. state without being one as trade war escalates

August 23, 2026

Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from

August 23, 2026

Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

August 23, 2026

The Bank of Canada’s worried about the rise of private credit. Here’s why

August 23, 2026

Latest News

Columbia House Record Club is shutting down. Wait, it was still in business?

August 23, 2026

150th anniversary of Treaty 6 to be commemorated

August 23, 2026

Grand Theft Auto VI exists in its own universe

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version