Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

May 18, 2026

Star Room at Vista del Monte honored for Best Practice/Innovation of the Year

May 18, 2026

Linus Torvalds says Linux security list is becoming ‘unmanageable’ due to AI bug reports

May 18, 2026

$25.5 Billion On-board Chargers Market Outlook, 2030 – How Bidirectional Charging is Transforming On-Board Charger Designs for Tomorrow’s EVs

May 18, 2026

Controlled Release Drug Delivery Strategic Analysis Report 2026: Market to Reach $59.7 Billion by 2032 from $37.5 Billion in 2025 – Microencapsulation and Nanocapsulation Strengthen Adoption

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Canada, NATO allies pull military mission from Iraq after Iran attacks
News

Canada, NATO allies pull military mission from Iraq after Iran attacks

By News RoomMarch 20, 20264 Mins Read
Canada, NATO allies pull military mission from Iraq after Iran attacks
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Canadian Armed Forces has joined its NATO allies in withdrawing military personnel from Iraq amid the ongoing Iran war, Defence Minister David McGuinty confirmed Friday.

NATO’s top commander, Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, confirmed earlier Friday that the alliance has pulled several hundred personnel out of Iraq and relocated them to Europe. They were part of NATO’s security advisory mission established in 2018 to advise Iraqi defence and security officials.

“As part of this adjustment, the Canadian Armed Forces personnel and Canadian civilians deployed with the NATO Mission Iraq have been relocated to a secure location and are safe and accounted for,” McGuinty said in a statement provided by his office.

Grynkewich said the mission will continue its work from Joint Force Command Naples.

The move came after a string of Iranian attacks on other troops at British, French and Italian bases in Iraq, as Tehran steps up its attacks on neghbouring Gulf Arab states in retaliation over U.S. and Israeli airstrikes that began three weeks ago.

Attacks on Gulf energy infrastructure have increased after Israel bombed Iran’s massive South Pars offshore natural gas field earlier this week. Kuwait and Bahrain reported new strikes on Friday.

Late Friday, U.S. President Donald Trump posted on social media that his administration was considering “winding down” military operations in the Middle East.

Trump said in his Truth Social post that the U.S. was “getting very close to meeting our objectives” for the war, including degrading Iran’s military, naval, missile and nuclear capabilities.

However, Reuters and the Associated Press reported Friday that the U.S. was sending 2,500 additional Marines to the Middle East, along with at least one amphibious assault ship. The reports cited U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity, and Global News has not independently verified the additional deployments.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

The Trump administration has also requested another US$200 billion from Congress to fund the war.

Trump’s statement also left a muddled picture of whether the U.S. would police the vital Strait of Hormuz shipping lane. Trump had said this week that the U.S. didn’t need help, while also complaining that other countries did not help.

“The Hormuz Strait will have to be guarded and policed, as necessary, by other Nations who use it — The United States does not!” he wrote.

“If asked, we will help these Countries in their Hormuz efforts, but it shouldn’t be necessary once Iran’s threat is eradicated. Importantly, it will be an easy Military Operation for them.”

Earlier Friday, Trump wrote on social media that NATO allies were “COWARDS” for previously refusing his calls for help in the Strait, adding the U.S. “will REMEMBER!”

Canada on Thursday joined the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Japan in a statement saying they were willing to “contribute to appropriate efforts” to ensuring safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz.

The nations did not say what specific action might be taken.


McGuinty has left the door open for the Canadian military to help neighbouring countries defend themselves from Iranian attacks, if they seek assistance from the NATO alliance.

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand’s office said Friday that any potential support from Canada would be guided by local needs, as well as Canada’s laws and policies, and consultations with partners and allies.

Her spokesperson said Canada is still focused on diplomacy to lower tensions, and to stop attacks by all players on energy infrastructure.

The Canadian Armed Forces has had no involvement at all in the current war and no Canadian military members were involved in its planning, the Department of National Defence says.

The department said that, based on numbers from March 5, the Canadian Armed Forces has roughly 200 personnel deployed across the Middle East in six separate operations.

Some military members have been relocated within the region or redeployed back to Canada. The department says it will not disclose more detailed personnel numbers at specific locations for security reasons.

The department also confirms that nearly three dozen Canadian military members on an exchange with a division of the U.S. air force were not deployed to the Persian Gulf region.

The department said 35 Canadian Armed Forces members are currently serving in some capacity with the 552nd Air Control Wing’s Canadian Detachment, but have not left the U.S. for operations in the Gulf.

The American wing, based out of the Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, has deployed six Boeing E-3G Sentry AWACS surveillance aircraft to an airbase in Saudi Arabia.

—with files from the Canadian Press and the Associated Press

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

Canadian Shai Gilgeous-Alexander becomes 14th player to win back-to-back NBA MVPs

RCMP probing gas heist after 5K litres of fuel stolen from Edmonton station

Quebec can help France in ‘many areas,’ Emmanuel Macron says

Parts of Ontario set for ‘first heat event of the season’: Environment Canada

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who helped spearhead Special Olympics, dies at 96

New York consul general’s former Park Avenue residence has sold

U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada

Driver oversight: Documents reveal Uber’s behind-the-scenes lobbying in Halifax

Editors Picks

Star Room at Vista del Monte honored for Best Practice/Innovation of the Year

May 18, 2026

Linus Torvalds says Linux security list is becoming ‘unmanageable’ due to AI bug reports

May 18, 2026

$25.5 Billion On-board Chargers Market Outlook, 2030 – How Bidirectional Charging is Transforming On-Board Charger Designs for Tomorrow’s EVs

May 18, 2026

Controlled Release Drug Delivery Strategic Analysis Report 2026: Market to Reach $59.7 Billion by 2032 from $37.5 Billion in 2025 – Microencapsulation and Nanocapsulation Strengthen Adoption

May 18, 2026

Latest News

KSA IoT Market to Reach USD 4.33 Billion by 2031: Growth Outlook by Module Type, Hardware, Connectivity, Software, Service, and Focus Area

May 18, 2026

Intuitive Machines Announces Two Prime Lunar Reconnaissance Contracts

May 18, 2026

Canadian Shai Gilgeous-Alexander becomes 14th player to win back-to-back NBA MVPs

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version