Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Earth and Essence IV Spa Launches New Website and Mobile IV Hydration Services in Cleveland, OH

May 20, 2026

Outscraper Sees Continued Growth in Use of Its Google Maps Scraper for Business Intelligence Needs

May 20, 2026

DutyFreeDeal.com Announces Its Integration Within Duty Free Zone Group, Strengthening Global Duty-Free Food Distribution Through DutyFreeFood.com

May 20, 2026

24/7 Digital Marketing Introduces “Autopilot Enquiry System” for Consistent 20-30 Qualified Monthly Lead Generation

May 20, 2026

Dental Intelligence Announces New Wave of AI-Powered Features Built for the Way Practices Actually Work

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Canada knew ‘from the beginning’ CAF wouldn’t help attack Iran: minister
News

Canada knew ‘from the beginning’ CAF wouldn’t help attack Iran: minister

By News RoomMarch 17, 20264 Mins Read
Canada knew ‘from the beginning’ CAF wouldn’t help attack Iran: minister
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Defence Minister David McGuinty said Tuesday that Canada’s decision not to join the U.S. and Israel’s military attacks on Iran was clear “from the beginning” of the war more than two weeks ago, while underscoring that position is not going to change.

During a press event in Brampton, Ont., highlighting Canada’s military aid to Ukraine, McGuinty was asked about the resignation Tuesday of U.S. National Counterterrorism Center director Joe Kent, who said he “cannot in good conscience” back the Trump administration’s war because “Iran posed no imminent threat” to the U.S.

McGuinty told reporters he had not been aware of Kent’s resignation but suggested he “made a principled decision, I suppose.”

“Look, the United States is going to find its way forward on this with Israel,” he said. “In terms of Canada’s position, we’ve looked at this very carefully. We’re following it hour by hour. It’s a very volatile situation, and so we’re very, very careful in terms of taking steps in any direction.

“But for us, from the beginning, it was clear that joining this in terms of the prosecution of the war offensively was not going to occur.”

McGuinty reiterated the federal government’s position that Ottawa was not consulted before the U.S. and Israel launched military action in Iran, that Canada “has not participated in this conflict, and Canada has no intention of doing so.”

He said he could not reveal much more than that about Canadian military operations in the region for security reasons.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“It’s very important that we, first of all, focus on Canadians in the region who want to leave that region,” he said. “Secondly, is very important for me as minister of defence to make sure that we protect, that we keep our forces out of harm’s way.”

McGuinty on Monday said Canada was “leaving the door open” to providing assistance to any Gulf nation that requires help in defending from Iranian attacks, but that so far it had not received any such requests.


That assistance is not necessarily guaranteed, he said Tuesday.

“If any neighbouring states might require assistance, we’ll see,” he said. “But we’re going to watch this hour by hour, day by day, and we will govern ourselves accordingly.”

NATO allies, including Canada, were facing pressure this week from U.S. President Donald Trump to help the U.S. secure the vital Strait of Hormuz trade corridor from Iranian attacks on commercial shipping and oil transports.

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand said earlier Tuesday that NATO had not received a formal request for assistance, and Trump said most NATO allies had rebuffed his public demands.

Anand said she agrees with Prime Minister Mark Carney that the U.S. attack on Iran likely violated international law, but added that also applies to Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.

McGuinty on Tuesday also responded to Conservatives’ criticism that the government and military did not disclose a strike that damaged a Kuwait airbase used by the CAF until over a week later.

“With all due respect to my colleagues in the Conservative party, we will take our lead from the operational experts, experts in the Canadian Armed Forces, who have a policy of being very careful about the security of our Canadian Armed Forces on the ground,” he said.

“I think it’s up to the Conservative party to explain why they might want to pursue information or reveal information that might compromise that security.”

Conservative defence critic James Bezan told Global News in a statement that Canada should follow its allies in being transparent with Canadians “without compromising the security of our troops in the region.”

“The Carney Liberals are clearly making excuses now because they know they were wrong,” he said. “It is time for this government to end their culture of secrecy. Canadians don’t need special security clearances for the Liberal government to treat them with respect.”

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Consultations with Sask. producers ‘an opportunity’ for collaboration, says minister

First Nation says it has evidence dozens of children died attending residential school

Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

West Island commuters confused after Fairview bus terminal relocates

Carney touts new construction at Quebec mine after fast-tracking major project

Tornado warnings issued across parts of southern Ontario as severe storms move through

Mission man injured in bear attack outside his home

NAV Canada ‘scraping the barrel’ to prevent flight disruptions, says expert

Remains of missing Brampton teen found in Saskatchewan, deemed suspicious: RCMP

Editors Picks

Outscraper Sees Continued Growth in Use of Its Google Maps Scraper for Business Intelligence Needs

May 20, 2026

DutyFreeDeal.com Announces Its Integration Within Duty Free Zone Group, Strengthening Global Duty-Free Food Distribution Through DutyFreeFood.com

May 20, 2026

24/7 Digital Marketing Introduces “Autopilot Enquiry System” for Consistent 20-30 Qualified Monthly Lead Generation

May 20, 2026

Dental Intelligence Announces New Wave of AI-Powered Features Built for the Way Practices Actually Work

May 20, 2026

Latest News

London Basin Company Leads Shift to Statement Sinks as British Designers Embrace Countertop Basins

May 20, 2026

Consultations with Sask. producers ‘an opportunity’ for collaboration, says minister

May 20, 2026

URBANICA Furniture Makes Better Workdays Easier to Design

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version