Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Sports Analytics (2026-2031) – Growing Adoption of Data-Driven Decision-Making to Drive Market Growth

August 20, 2026

CBAK Energy Expands Model 32140 Capacity at Nanjing Phase II, Advances Digital Manufacturing

August 20, 2026

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

August 20, 2026

Azio AI Holdings Announces Atlas One, a 500+ Acre Site Designed for Up to 500 MW of Behind‐the‐Meter Power

August 20, 2026

Sandra Bullock speaks out for 1st time on death of partner Bryan Randall

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks
Health

Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks

By News RoomAugust 20, 20263 Mins Read
Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has been effective in past Ebola outbreaks, the World Health Organization and partners said Thursday, announcing a step seen as a major boost to efforts to contain what officials have described as the fastest Ebola outbreak in history.

The Ervebo vaccine is licensed for use against Ebola virus, one of the viruses that cause Ebola disease, but not for Bundibugyo virus, which is responsible for the current outbreak which has so far killed 2,476 people out of the 5,208 confirmed cases

WHO said in a statement that while it’s not known whether Ervebo may protect against the Bundibugyo virus, “early laboratory and animal data suggest it may provide some protection.”

The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus, the agency said. The remaining 50,000 doses will be used for front-line and health workers as recommended by WHO experts.

The outbreak raging in six provinces in eastern Congo has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other Ebola outbreak in history, and is spreading about three times faster compared to the 2014-2016 outbreak across West Africa — the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.


The International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision, which includes WHO and other partners, said the doses will be released immediately following a request from Congo’s government.

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

Get weekly health news

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the approval “an important example of global solidarity in action.” He said the agency and its partners remain committed to supporting strengthened surveillance, rapid detection, quality care, community engagement and vaccination efforts to bring the outbreak under control.

The lack of approved vaccines or treatments for the rare Bundibugyo virus has been a major issue for responders. Most new cases have been reported outside of the people being monitored, showing the virus continues to spread faster than efforts to track it. That has been a key contributor to the recorded deaths.

The case fatality rate so far is 47.5 per cent although it is far worse in some places where response efforts are more challenging, such as in North Kivu province where the fatality rate is up to 70 per cent.

Experts believe the virus began spreading from the mining town of Mongbwalu as early as February, months before authorities declared the outbreak on May 15.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Ultra low emission zones linked to improved lung capacity in kids: UK study

Moderna’s experimental mRNA cancer treatment progresses, shares spike

Celine Dion shares health update on stiff-person syndrome ahead of Paris shows

OpenAI says new ChatGPT designed for teens aims to be more age-appropriate

Health Canada approves drug to treat hot flashes for some cancer patients

Certain Whole Foods products recalled over salmonella fears linked to U.S.

Private plasma donation clinic says it is pausing all collection in Canada

Unauthorized, counterfeit cosmetic injectables seized from Hamilton spa

Influenza, COVID-19 awareness higher than RSV among Canadians, poll says

Editors Picks

CBAK Energy Expands Model 32140 Capacity at Nanjing Phase II, Advances Digital Manufacturing

August 20, 2026

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

August 20, 2026

Azio AI Holdings Announces Atlas One, a 500+ Acre Site Designed for Up to 500 MW of Behind‐the‐Meter Power

August 20, 2026

Sandra Bullock speaks out for 1st time on death of partner Bryan Randall

August 20, 2026

Latest News

This tiny guitar amp is the most unhinged distortion pedal ever

August 20, 2026

Flow Cleanrooms & Supply Expands Availability of DuPont™ Tyvek® IsoClean® and Dupont™ Tyvek® 400 Garments

August 20, 2026

Moonkie Partners with Baby2Baby to Support Families Through Every Purchase

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version