Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Wetaskiwin mayor returning to city hall after being banned

August 18, 2026

Noitom Robotics Releases HiPHI, One of the Largest High-Precision Human Motion Datasets Ever Made Public, at the World Robot Conference

August 18, 2026

Viet Nam Is Asia Pacific's Most Improved Government Since 2021, the Chandler Index Finds

August 18, 2026

Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton

August 18, 2026

China Is Improving In Leadership & Foresight Faster Than Any Country in Asia Pacific, the Chandler Index Finds

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton
News

Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton

By News RoomAugust 18, 20263 Mins Read
Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

We are hearing more from businesses in South Edmonton near the proposed site for a new permanent Hope Mission shelter.

It comes in the middle of a debate on the facility at City Hall, which is proving to be a contentious issue.

A public hearing was held Monday on a rezoning application for the site near Argyll Road and 75th Street. Currently, the building is used as a thrift store and a warehouse.

The Hope Mission is looking to convert some of the space into a permanent 120-bed shelter.

“The need for shelter space is real. So we do need more space for people, we also would like to decentralize services,” said Tim Pasma, senior director of the Hope Mission.

“Last year, for example, we had a 23 per cent increase in the number of people coming to our sites in winter. So we know that that need is real and that we’re seeing more and more people needing to access emergency shelter.”

During the hearing, a few neighbouring businesses spoke in opposition. They said that with a casino, liquor and cannabis store nearby, this is the wrong place.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

“For someone trying to stabilize and rebuild their life, accessibility is more than a nearby bus stop. Where are the grocery stores? Where is the pharmacy? How accessible are health care, mental health and addiction services,” said Blaine Helliker at the hearing on Monday.

A home renovation company near the facility says they’ve already dealt with issues involving people living on the streets.

“We have already experienced serious incidents around our property, whether that’s property damage, break-and-enter, trespassing, or even in some worst cases, we’ve had our business lit on fire,” said Ranvir Singh with Regency Innovations.


However, another business in the industrial park has a different view.

“I don’t believe it’s going to disrupt my business, and I don’t believe it’s going to disrupt anybody’s business,” said Josh Powell, general manager of Loadrite.

Their location is on the street behind the facility. Powell says with people experiencing homelessness already in the area, a shelter could be a big help.

“We have a problem in this city, but I think sites like this are going to help reduce that presence and going to help the continuation of making progress towards finding housing,” said Powell.

The public hearing on Monday was postponed until next Tuesday. Councillors say they still have a lot to discuss before they make their decision.

“Really want to be able to dig into some questions from speakers, both those who presented in favour as well as those in opposition and then have some opportunity for some council dialogue,” said ward Métis councillor Ashley Salvador.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Wetaskiwin mayor returning to city hall after being banned

Former MP Nate Erskine-Smith to enter Toronto city council race

More than 4.7K health-care workers hired in Manitoba since 2023: province

Bellingham, Wash. businesses say continued decline in Canadian visitors damaging

Unauthorized drugs seized from Montreal store by Health Canada

‘Generations of knowledge’ to be shared as SPSA enters MOU with First Nations councils

Store accused of making staff pay to work for it

Crown appealing rare mistrial in Frank Stronach’s sex assault conviction

Fewer people running for trustee in some of Ontario’s supervised school boards

Editors Picks

Noitom Robotics Releases HiPHI, One of the Largest High-Precision Human Motion Datasets Ever Made Public, at the World Robot Conference

August 18, 2026

Viet Nam Is Asia Pacific's Most Improved Government Since 2021, the Chandler Index Finds

August 18, 2026

Hope Mission looks to expand permanent shelter services in Edmonton

August 18, 2026

China Is Improving In Leadership & Foresight Faster Than Any Country in Asia Pacific, the Chandler Index Finds

August 18, 2026

Latest News

Asia Pacific Outpaces the World in Governance Gains, the Chandler Index Finds

August 18, 2026

Former MP Nate Erskine-Smith to enter Toronto city council race

August 18, 2026

More than 4.7K health-care workers hired in Manitoba since 2023: province

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version