Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

May 18, 2026

Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed

May 18, 2026

Scientists discover over 1,100 new marine species in landmark Ocean Census

May 18, 2026

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

May 18, 2026

Star Room at Vista del Monte honored for Best Practice/Innovation of the Year

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Quebec premier dismisses Doug Ford’s concerns over province’s EV targets
News

Quebec premier dismisses Doug Ford’s concerns over province’s EV targets

By News RoomMarch 20, 20263 Mins Read
Quebec premier dismisses Doug Ford’s concerns over province’s EV targets
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Quebec Premier François Legault has dismissed concerns by the Ontario premier over electric vehicle mandates in Canada, saying Quebec already adjusted its targets to reflect the new reality of the North American auto market.

Legault’s office responded on Friday to letters sent by Ontario Premier Doug Ford earlier this week to Legault and British Columbia Premier David Eby asking them to drop their electric vehicle sales targets. The mandates, Ford said, are hurting the country’s auto sector and pushing jobs and investments into the United States.

But while Quebec understands Ontario’s worries, the province has “already adjusted to the new North American context,” Legault spokesman Ewan Sauves said in a text message to The Canadian Press, referring to the Trump administration’s deregulation policies and tariffs on Canada’s auto sector.

Quebec lifted its ban on the sale of new gas-powered cars that would have taken effect in 2035. Instead, the government’s target is for 90 per cent of new vehicle sales in 2035 to be hybrid or electric, down from 100 per cent fully electric.

“Quebec is making choices that reflect its own economic, environmental, and energy reality,” Sauves said.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

Ford’s letters come as Ontario’s auto sector struggles under U.S. tariffs imposed to force vehicle manufacturers to move their production to the United States. Electric vehicle mandates are only compounding the hardship of Ontario’s car sector — a major economic driver for Canada that employs nearly 100,000 people, he said.

“Unfortunately, existing EV sales mandates in Canada are making our auto sector less competitive and threatening the livelihoods of tens of thousands of Canadian workers, particularly since the U.S. has rolled back its federal EV policies,” Ford said in his letters.


Soon after taking office in 2025, Trump issued an executive order revoking a non-binding goal set by Biden that EVs make up half of new cars sold by 2030. The order also seeks to terminate a federal exemption that allows California to phase out the sale of gas-powered cars by 2035.

In the fall, Quebec and B.C. scaled back or dropped their previous goals of having all new vehicle sales be zero emissions in 2035, but Ford believes they should go further, saying in his letter the provinces’ EV rules create a “fragmented” market.

At a news conference Wednesday, the Ontario premier said he is asking them to get rid of all “environmental requests” on cars. “If we keep doing this … greenhouse gases and everything and the other guy south of the border … gets rid of everything, how do you compete?” Ford said in Kenilworth, Ont.

The federal government also eliminated its EV sales mandate earlier this year in favour of stricter emissions standards for the auto sector.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

Canadian Shai Gilgeous-Alexander becomes 14th player to win back-to-back NBA MVPs

RCMP probing gas heist after 5K litres of fuel stolen from Edmonton station

Quebec can help France in ‘many areas,’ Emmanuel Macron says

Parts of Ontario set for ‘first heat event of the season’: Environment Canada

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who helped spearhead Special Olympics, dies at 96

New York consul general’s former Park Avenue residence has sold

U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada

Editors Picks

Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed

May 18, 2026

Scientists discover over 1,100 new marine species in landmark Ocean Census

May 18, 2026

U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims

May 18, 2026

Star Room at Vista del Monte honored for Best Practice/Innovation of the Year

May 18, 2026

Latest News

Linus Torvalds says Linux security list is becoming ‘unmanageable’ due to AI bug reports

May 18, 2026

$25.5 Billion On-board Chargers Market Outlook, 2030 – How Bidirectional Charging is Transforming On-Board Charger Designs for Tomorrow’s EVs

May 18, 2026

Controlled Release Drug Delivery Strategic Analysis Report 2026: Market to Reach $59.7 Billion by 2032 from $37.5 Billion in 2025 – Microencapsulation and Nanocapsulation Strengthen Adoption

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version