Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

Baptist Health Foundation Announces Historic $100 Million Gift from Dr. Herbert Wertheim

May 20, 2026

Texas new home sales rebound as spring market gains momentum

May 20, 2026

PayPal Brings PayPal USD to Users Across 70 Markets

May 20, 2026

GraphDex Announces Public Launch: Ethereum Co-Founder Bows to Hedgehog Mascot, 8,300 Users Sign Up in Two Hours

May 20, 2026

Q.ANT Takes Photonic AI Computing Commercial as AI’s Power Demand Surges

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » ‘Rot in jail’: Ford criticizes child killer being granted unescorted absences
News

‘Rot in jail’: Ford criticizes child killer being granted unescorted absences

By News RoomMarch 18, 20265 Mins Read
‘Rot in jail’: Ford criticizes child killer being granted unescorted absences
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

WARNING: This story contains graphic details that could be disturbing to some readers. Discretion is advised. 

A 65-year-old man who is serving a life sentence for the first-degree murder and sexual assault of a 14-year-old boy 40 years ago has been granted two more unescorted temporary absences (UTAs) into the community.

It’s a decision Ontario Premier Doug Ford criticized on Tuesday, saying the man should “rot in jail.”

Darren Scott Ray was convicted in 1986 of first-degree murder after he sexually assaulted and then strangled the 14-year-old victim.

According to a decision by the Parole Board of Canada, obtained by Global News, Darren Scott Ray will get two more UTAs, though it’s not yet known when he will take those absences.

The decision, dated Jan. 5, said Ray was granted a 72-hour UTA earlier in March to visit a community-based residential facility to “familiarize yourself with the facility, the staff, and the community.”

Durham Regional Police issued a community safety alert as a result of Ray’s release. It said it was warning the public about a high-risk offender who has been released into the community, noting he had a “history of serious criminal convictions including first-degree murder.”

Ray is described as five feet nine inches tall and 199 pounds, with an average build. He wears glasses and is bald.

Following that release, which expired, Ray was taken into custody without incident.

Yet in its decision, the Parole Board stated it had authorized three 72-hour UTAs for administrative reasons to be taken over the span of a 12-month period.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

With Ray having already taken one, that means he could be released two more times this year.

According to the documents, the victim lived in the same neighbourhood as Ray and had run away from home, at which point Ray invited him into his home. There, the Parole Board states the two consumed alcohol and drugs. Ray then restrained the victim and “violently sexually assaulted” the boy before strangling him to death.

“The victim’s body was later found wrapped in a blanket in the garbage room of your (Ray’s) apartment building,” the Parole Board states.

Despite his conviction, the Parole Board stated it deemed Ray’s risk as manageable and that he was “on a pathway to rehabilitation.”

“It is the Board’s opinion that you will not, by reoffending, present an undue risk to society during the absences,” the decision reads. “In the Board’s opinion, you also meet the other authorization requirements in that it is desirable for you to be absent from the penitentiary, your behaviour while under sentence does not preclude authorizing the absences, and a structured plan for the absences has been prepared.”

Ford on Tuesday criticized the decision, saying the Parole Board of Canada is “giving people passes.”


“He’s (Ray) free to walk around, 72-hour passes. He should rot in jail,” he said. “Think of this, folks, a 14-year-old boy gets raped and murdered and he (Ray) gets a 72-hour pass. Like what is this country coming to?”

Ford went on to say the Board needs to reverse its decision and urged an overhaul of the system.

Despite its decision, the Parole Board noted Ray was still a “very violent offender.”

“Your index offence profiles you as a very violent offender, with serious issues around sexual deviancy, emotional volatility, impulsivity, poor judgement and self-regulation, and a lack of consequential thinking, all of which justify the ongoing concern about the manageability of your risk,” the Parole Board wrote.

Durham police, in a statement to Global News, said Chief Peter Moreira has formally raised the service’s concerns regarding Ray’s release with the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC). It says he will be meeting with them directly to address public safety considerations.

It went on to say unescorted temporary absences are the responsibility of CSC, but public safety remains the service’s primary concern.

“When an individual is assessed as posing a high risk to public safety, DRPS will issue a public safety advisory to inform and protect our community,” a spokesperson for Durham police wrote in an email.

According to Durham Regional Police in its earlier community alert, Ray must abide by several conditions, including travelling directly to his destination as set out by his permit and reporting to his parole supervisor as directed.

He must remain at all times in Canada within the territorial boundaries set out by his parole supervisor, cannot own, possess or have control of any weapon except as authorized by his supervisor, and obey the law.

Ray also cannot be in the presence of any children, male or female, under the age of 18, unless accompanied by a responsible adult who knows of his criminal history and has been previously approved in writing by his parole supervisor.

Any relationships and friendships with men or women who have parental responsibilities for children under 18 must also be immediately disclosed.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Ford government making new rules to deal with illegal farmland trucking operations

Historical society secures rural New Brunswick burial site to preserve history

Quebec jail guards protest expired contract, growing use of drones to move contraband

Is it time to change? Manitoba releases survey on daylight time

The World Cup will cost Canadian taxpayers $82M per game: PBO

Global Affairs data shows federal job cuts hit positions abroad hardest

Young Canadians are looking for jobs — just not where employers are hiring

Brother of Ontario man who died demands 911 call takers get regular hearing tests

Calgary residents tired of barrage of trash from ‘garbage tornado’

Editors Picks

Texas new home sales rebound as spring market gains momentum

May 20, 2026

PayPal Brings PayPal USD to Users Across 70 Markets

May 20, 2026

GraphDex Announces Public Launch: Ethereum Co-Founder Bows to Hedgehog Mascot, 8,300 Users Sign Up in Two Hours

May 20, 2026

Q.ANT Takes Photonic AI Computing Commercial as AI’s Power Demand Surges

May 20, 2026

Latest News

Ford government making new rules to deal with illegal farmland trucking operations

May 20, 2026

Indra Group Joins Forces With Cohere To Drive International Cooperation in Sovereign AI Between Spain and Canada

May 20, 2026

Hantavirus-hit cruise operator says ship was not source of outbreak

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version