Close Menu
Daily Guardian
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
What's On

VEEKTOMX VT101 Portable Charger Becomes a Popular Travel Essential with Built-in Cables and Fast Charging Design

May 19, 2026

Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

May 19, 2026

HojaSana Launches L-Theanine Complex to Support Stress Relief, Calm Focus, and Sleep Routine in Growing U.S. Wellness Market

May 19, 2026

The future of Google is a search box that does everything

May 19, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe Presale Stage 16 Nears Sell Out While Bitcoin Price Prediction Targets $250,000

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Climate
  • Auto
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
Daily Guardian
Home » Ottawa appeals Emergencies Act use during ‘Freedom Convoy’ to Supreme Court
News

Ottawa appeals Emergencies Act use during ‘Freedom Convoy’ to Supreme Court

By News RoomMarch 17, 20263 Mins Read
Ottawa appeals Emergencies Act use during ‘Freedom Convoy’ to Supreme Court
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The federal government is appealing to the Supreme Court a lower court decision that found its use of the Emergencies Act four years ago during “Freedom Convoy” protests was unreasonable and led to the infringement of constitutional rights.

The government invoked the act to quell protests in the national capital and at key border points.

“Canada has sought leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada to review of the use of the Emergencies Act during the convoy protests and blockades that caused serious disruptions across the country,” said Justice Minister Sean Fraser’s spokesperson Lola Dandybaeva.

“Our government remains committed to ensuring it has the tools needed to protect the safety and security of Canadians in the face of threats to public order and national security.”

Dandybaeva said it would not be appropriate to comment further because the matter is before the courts.

In 2024, a federal court ruling rejected the use of the emergencies law and found its use of the act breached Charter rights.

A January ruling from the Federal Court of Appeal affirmed that decision.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

The court said the government lacked a basis to declare that the events across Canada posed a threat to national security or amounted to a national emergency — requirements that must be satisfied to invoke the Emergencies Act.

For about three weeks in January and February 2022, downtown Ottawa was filled with protesters, including many in large trucks that blocked streets around Parliament Hill.

The influx of people, including some with roots in the far-right movement, prompted many businesses to temporarily shut down and aggravated residents with noise, pollution and harassing behaviour.

While many people demonstrated against COVID-19 health restrictions, the protest attracted some with a variety of grievances against then-prime minister Justin Trudeau and his government.


Trucks also jammed key border crossings to the United States, including routes at Windsor, Ont., and Coutts, Alta.

On Feb. 14, 2022, the government invoked the Emergencies Act, which allowed for temporary measures, including regulation and prohibition of public assemblies, the designation of secure places, direction to banks to freeze assets, and a ban on support for protest participants.

It was the first time the law had been used since it replaced the War Measures Act in 1988.

The Emergencies Act defines a national emergency as an urgent and critical situation of a temporary nature that seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians, exceeds the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it and cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada.

The Court of Appeal concluded the government “did not have reasonable grounds to believe that a national emergency existed,” taking into account the wording of the act, its constitutional underpinning and the record that was before it at the time the decision was made.

The judges said the failure to meet the requirements to declare a public order emergency led them to conclude the federal proclamation “was unreasonable” and exceeded the bounds of legal authority.

The government had contended the steps taken to deal with the pan-Canadian turmoil were targeted, proportional, time-limited and compliant with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

—With files from Jim Bronskill

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

West Island commuters confused after Fairview bus terminal relocates

Carney touts new construction at Quebec mine after fast-tracking major project

Tornado warnings issued across parts of southern Ontario as severe storms move through

Mission man injured in bear attack outside his home

NAV Canada ‘scraping the barrel’ to prevent flight disruptions, says expert

Remains of missing Brampton teen found in Saskatchewan, deemed suspicious: RCMP

Port of Halifax grain elevator to keep running until at least the end of 2028

Carney says not to ‘overplay the importance’ of paused U.S. military board

Editors Picks

Penticton encampment fire sparks renewed safety concerns

May 19, 2026

HojaSana Launches L-Theanine Complex to Support Stress Relief, Calm Focus, and Sleep Routine in Growing U.S. Wellness Market

May 19, 2026

The future of Google is a search box that does everything

May 19, 2026

Crypto News Today: AlphaPepe Presale Stage 16 Nears Sell Out While Bitcoin Price Prediction Targets $250,000

May 19, 2026

Latest News

West Island commuters confused after Fairview bus terminal relocates

May 19, 2026

Plex is tripling the price of a lifetime pass to $750 after doubling it last year

May 19, 2026

Fisher Space Pen Honors 250 Years of American Ingenuity with Limited-Edition Space Pens

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version